* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: Recruiting and Closing the Deal  (Read 5438 times)

Offline OldSchoolDemon

• Captain Animus
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: JLP
Recruiting and Closing the Deal
« on: October 21, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »
So - today Devon Daniels is making his decision and it got me thinking that since Dave has taken over there have been alot of failures on the recruiting front. Basically, we're seeing the same trend we've seen from the prior staff; getting kids in the door and keeping their interest only to be left at the alter). This leads me to wonder whose responsibility is it to close the deal? Is it the assistant who has built the relationship, the head coach or a combination of both? Based on the number of failures I'm flip flopping constantly as to who needs to take the blame here. The blame seems to either be placed on the failures of the last tean years whether it's been Purnell or now with Dave  or with the assistants. I'm interested in hearing others opinions on this because I'm not confident that tonight will bring good news and even if it does the discussion is still interesting to have and maybe it can morph into a conversation about what then creates the good news story moving forward
The right path is sometimes the tortured path...DePaul fans are the definition of "tortured"

Offline gochicago

• 2 Star Prospect
Re: Recruiting and Closing the Deal
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
I could be totally off in this however I truly believe the head coach must be the person who closes the deal.   I think the assistant coaches job us to get them interested in the program and that's all.   DL needs to get the job done!!

Offline Big Kid

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 01:45:19 PM »
I could be totally off in this however I truly believe the head coach must be the person who closes the deal.   I think the assistant coaches job us to get them interested in the program and that's all.   DL needs to get the job done!!

100% agree. The Assistants develop and cultivate the relationship and are the conduit to the recruit and the University. They are the proverbial leaders to the water but the onus is on the HC to make them drink. He must tell them how he is going to use them when they are here, how he will make them better each year they play under him and to a slightly lesser extent what his plans are in bringing talent and upgrading facilities etc. as those are variables not necessarily in his control. Most of all he has to make the recruit feel comfortable and positive relative to the direction of the program at the end of the day.

There is more to it than that but that would be my cliff note version of closing responsibilities.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »
I actually put more on the assistants. The head coach has to absolutely close the deal, but if a kid comes in with DePaul being his 5th choice because the assistant did not set the plate well enough for the head coach, that is on the assistant to me. An executive chef cannot make a great meal if the sous chef bought frozen food versus fresh food.

Offline John92

• 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 02:26:03 PM »
DL recruiting pretty well last time.  i realize he is not the recent UConn assistant this time and the recent DePaul history is less favorable than last time, but I think DL still connects well with kids and more so parents.  Despite the performance the past 90 days.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 08:26:21 AM »
Frankly - it is hard for a head coach to close the deal when a kid already gave a silent verbal elsewhere.

* Blue Demons Nation Scholarship Chart

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
1 Jaylen Butz Javon Freeman-Liberty Markese Jacobs
2 Charlie Moore Darious Hall Oscar Lopez Jr
3 Brian Patrick Courvoisier McCauley Nick Ongenda
4 Pauly Paulicap Markese Jacobs Romeo Weems
5 Ray Salnave Oscar Lopez Jr Kobe Elvis
6 Javon Freeman-Liberty Nick Ongenda Ahamad Bynum
7 Darious Hall Romeo Weems Keon Edwards
8 Courvoisier McCauley Kobe Elvis Brett Hardt Jr.
9 Markese Jacobs Ahamad Bynum David Jones
10 Oscar Lopez Jr Keon Edwards Kok Yat
11 Nick Ongenda Brett Hardt Jr.  
12 Romeo Weems David Jones  
13 Kobe Elvis Kok Yat  

Senior
  Junior
  Sophomore
  Freshman

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal