* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: Fugazi It. I'm in, lock stock and two f'in smoking barrels  (Read 9441 times)

Offline Hayes-Healy Superstar

• Inventor of the Fist Bump
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Bluto
Fugazi It. I'm in, lock stock and two f'in smoking barrels
« on: March 31, 2015, 01:21:05 AM »
Yeah, the search sucked.  Yeah, it was a punch in the nuts that DePaul screwed the pooch with its top candidates and looked like fools.  But watching the press conference I'm left with a couple things I cannot change.

1.  I love college basketball, even with all its hypocrisy and inequities.
2.  I can't change the f'ing small minded mom and pop organization that is the DePaul program.
3.  I bleed DePaul and there is no way in hell I'll ever walk away, no matter how bad they suck or f up.
4.  And I think in my heart of hearts that Dave will work his ass off to turn this program around, unlike the previous two ass clowns.

Yeah so fugazi it, I'm in.  You got me on your side Dave, don't lose me.
Smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
Re: Fugazi It. I'm in, lock stock and two f'in smoking barrels
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:50:37 AM »
Well said HHS.

My anger towards Leitao is minimal. It is looking as though DePaul went to market with a huge negative aligned to it (must retain a certain coach/dad). With that a requirement of the role, there are limited possibilities. So considering that, the return of Leitao is positive to me. I was talking to Ciep last night and told him that the knuckleheads that DePaul has brought in the past 7-10 years will no longer be welcomed. The teams will be stronger mentally.

What Leitao must do, and it may be tough, is he must treat all players equally and not use kid gloves on certain players. Make them strong in all facets.

Offline erbsademon

• 3 Star Prospect
  • #FireJLP
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:58:26 AM »
Is JLP a moron control freak?  Yes.  Did Leitao bail on DePaul in 2005?  Yes.  Do I give a crap?  No.  DePaul has been and always will be my squad.  I hope DL can turn the program around and definitely think he'll do better than horseface and big$$OP$$.  I think DL can recruit and isn't a gigantic pussy when it comes to running the team.  There won't be any Dar Tucker/ball hog type shittake going on with his teams.  Drop the hammer DL and let everyone know who's boss.  Still won't be buying season tickets again until after I finish my MBA, but get my one "free" ticket.  Who knows, maybe I'll go to a game for the first time in 2 years next season.  Let the games begin...

One other thing, DL has been recruiting Marcus LoVett Jr.  DePaul had been recruiting him earlier as well.  What are the chances we land him?  I don't know much about him, is a game changer/program relevance builder?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:03:01 AM by erbsademon »
#FireJLP

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »
Is JLP a moron control freak?  Yes.  Did Leitao bail on DePaul in 2005?  Yes.  Do I give a crap?  No.  DePaul has been and always will be my squad.  I hope DL can turn the program around and definitely think he'll do better than horseface and big$$OP$$.  I think DL can recruit and isn't a gigantic pussy when it comes to running the team.  There won't be any Dar Tucker/ball hog type shittake going on with his teams.  Drop the hammer DL and let everyone know who's boss.  Still won't be buying season tickets again until after I finish my MBA, but get my one "free" ticket.  Who knows, maybe I'll go to a game for the first time in 2 years next season.  Let the games begin...

One other thing, DL has been recruiting Marcus LoVett Jr.  DePaul had been recruiting him earlier as well.  What are the chances we land him?  I don't know much about him, is a game changer/program relevance builder?
Lovett is a very exciting player. Game changer? I say no. But he would really open some eyes that DePaul landed him and is a program relevant builder.

The rumor was that he liked 3 schools, UI, SJU and DePaul behind them. However, SJU has a new coach, as do we so not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

It is a two-sided argument; Groce has been there recruiting him throughout, so that can be seen as a good thing. However, Groce's future may be a little shaky, while Leitao and Mullins are kinda locked in for a few years I guess. Past stability vs future stability I guess.

Offline Big Kid

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
I also have nothing against DL. Always defended him when LS would go on one his anti-Leitao shouts. But is he the right man for this job as it stands? I can honestly say I really do not know. He didn't have any suitors out there that is for sure or any jobs that his name was connected to. To me, the appearance is similar to OP's announcement. Names were being bandied about, we ultimately find out we were rejected by all of them or their demands were too high and out of LF comes Purnell...I mean Leitao. This is what happens when you let the incompetent lead the charge time after time.

If JLP's ship hasn't sailed, I hope someone is talking to her about the real possibility that she will be moving on in 2 Years. Trying to be as level as I can but I mean her performance at the Press Conference was truly an abomination. An embarrassment to the University and they had to have seen it. When she went here as a student DePaul was much smaller and she probably liked that quaintness of the campus but things have changed and we got bigger, much bigger because of the notoriety of the basketball team through the '80's and '90's and now we are the largest Catholic U in the U.S. and she still thinks small. And shame on the rest of the administration for allowing her to think that and implement that thinking into the athletics program. When you are as big as us, the thinking should be much bigger. But she is the figurehead of the athletic program and so long as she is here and has such small minded ideologies only leads me to believe that our athletic / MBB descent will only continue as far as I am concerned.

Again, I like Dave, hated that he left but didn't hate him for it as it was good opportunity for him and I appreciated what he built here and hoped that it could be continued. It did not unfortunately. From his "cryptic" comment on Kap and Haugh, it appears her demands of retaining Garrett have been confirmed. That is why she is so in over her head. This is why my doubts about us ever gaining respectability linger. I truly hope he can turn this around and if he did, I would not be surprised as he does work his ass off but this is isn't the same job he walked into 13-14 years ago. While there is some talent relative to Purnell's entrance, it isn't what DL inherited the last time, our name was not a laughingstock in college, AAU and High School circles. There is a LOT of work that needs to be done. 41 Year old Dave was up for it and did it, is 54 Year Old Dave who is a little more financially secure going to be able to overcome most of the negatives this job brings and still be motivated to do the work required to move the mountain a little bit? Not sure but I hope so, I really do. There is nothing I would love more than to move my schedule around just to accommodate the watching (or going to) a DePaul game. I saw 30%, if that of the games last year and probably will do the same this year. A large time of my life, I didn't miss one even if I had to listen on the radio.

Offline DPU70

• Second Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Redenbacher
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 04:23:56 PM »
let's face it.  Loyalty to your boss rests in your paycheck.  If another boss pays more, you follow.  And, that's what Leitao did.

Who here hasn't changed jobs, and generally for more money.  Can't fault the guy for that.  You can only fault the former Boss for not keeping pace with the desire.

Does this move absolve Jeanie of her past stupidity of not raising Leitao's salary to UVa level?  No.  But, it does show she has very little to offer any other coach to come here.  Again, she has settled for less then the best, to satisfy her comfort level of Dictator.

Saying that, I have no doubts that Leitao will do his best with what he has to work with and may even improve the situation.

But, then again, I thought OP would have done the same.

I almost don't care any more.

Online demonsball

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 06:38:35 PM »
I don't understand how people are saying how terrible this hire is and then saying how well DL will do...

Offline Big Kid

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:57:49 PM »
I don't see who is saying its a terrible hire. I think most were pissed at the process and how poorly it was administrated...AGAIN. Myself included. Now no where in my post did I say Leitao will succeed as I have my doubts quite frankly. Hopefully he's learned from previous mistakes but he hasn't been a HC in better than 6 years. At least he's stayed close assisting at UM and Tulsa. But his hiring resembles the past 2. I wasn't a fan of the Purnell hiring especially at the money we were giving him but I had hoped just like I had hoped with Wainwright that things would get better for us. My hope meter, just like DPU 70's is running very low.

I will say I think those thinking he will immediately turn us into a winner next year are terribly mistaken. He is going to have to change a culture of ineptitude and I have a feeling not everyone on the roster will be buying what he's selling. They'll do so at their own peril but the damage will be done.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 08:20:08 AM »
I don't see who is saying its a terrible hire. I think most were pissed at the process and how poorly it was administrated...AGAIN.
This is it. The HIRING process was terrible, and the end result was a solid coach. The method to get to the end result can be mocked, and called into question, no matter what the outcome was. That is what I have been meaning with my commentary. DePaul let some solid candidates go by the wayside BECAUSE it is looking extremely likely they put a stipulation on being offered the job.

Offline lake county fan

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »
I agree DL looks like a solid hire and I like his choice for assoc  now lets get some players

Offline TrueBlueDemon

• 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 09:24:17 PM »
Yes, I blame Leitao for a decade of mediocrity ! JLP made all her stupid decisions because Leitao played her and showed no loyalty to her.
 She hired an old man who could never go anywhere else and she overpaid an old man who she paid millions to who never won a single NCAA tourney game.
 Well it is back to the same guy who promised her plenty and played her like a fiddle.
  Until this university hires a professional administrator, expect absolutely nothing.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »
My anger is no longer minimal.

Offline Depressed

• 2 Star Prospect
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 10:22:41 AM »
Unlike ya'll I'm really not expecting to live that long , so I have no resentment toward the program.  Every year I just hope for a decent product , pay my scalper guy 20 bucks, sit courtside, bring in my own food , and just hope to see some decent basketball.  DePaul has always been my favorite sports team , for one thing the players and coaches are nice enough to greet you and take photos with you.  Having Kevin Edwards shake my father's hand and engage in conversation with him really meant a lot to me .   I'm hoping Leitao can turn this ship around , but in the meantime it would be nice if Carter can live up to his reputation and start landing some decent recruits.

* Blue Demons Nation Scholarship Chart

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
1 Jaylen Butz Javon Freeman-Liberty Markese Jacobs
2 Charlie Moore Darious Hall Oscar Lopez Jr
3 Brian Patrick Courvoisier McCauley Nick Ongenda
4 Pauly Paulicap Markese Jacobs Romeo Weems
5 Ray Salnave Oscar Lopez Jr Kobe Elvis
6 Javon Freeman-Liberty Nick Ongenda Ahamad Bynum
7 Darious Hall Romeo Weems Keon Edwards
8 Courvoisier McCauley Kobe Elvis Brett Hardt Jr.
9 Markese Jacobs Ahamad Bynum David Jones
10 Oscar Lopez Jr Keon Edwards Kok Yat
11 Nick Ongenda Brett Hardt Jr.  
12 Romeo Weems David Jones  
13 Kobe Elvis Kok Yat  

Senior
  Junior
  Sophomore
  Freshman

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal