* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: Ciepierball's Thoughts So Far....  (Read 8501 times)

Offline Ciepierball

• Powered by Yatta!
  • 5 Star Prospect
Ciepierball's Thoughts So Far....
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:14:14 PM »
Guys, sorry I haven't been around lately, however my wife and I have two new Blue Demon fans in our lives: Molly and Mitchell!  Now that it's been two weeks, I seem to have some free time on my hands.  I wanted to cover three things and give my take on 1) the search, 2) Coach Leitao, and 3) the addition of Rick Carter.

Thoughts About The Search

I know alot of people were disappointed in how the search took place.  People were hoping for Drew, Hurley, or Howland.  From everything I know, Howland had zero interest, Hurley gave DePaul bad vibes, and Leitao's name surfaced right after Drew, probably not making him an option anymore.  Have a search firm to get Leitao I will admit is a waste of money, however I thought that something has to be said about DePaul bringing back someone who spurned them.

Think about it...would you rehire someone who had success in your company, left you dry, you failed afterwards?  I think it takes guts to do that, and honestly, I think it was the best move Jeannie has done since being the AD at DePaul.  With her status being looked at, she sat up there with pride and presented Dave Leitao again to the fanbase.

I know alot of you will say I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, or I'm being an idiot, however looking at this from just a business point of view, this was a strong move, and something I don't know if I would have the courage to do.  Just my honest thoughts.

My Thoughts of Dave Leitao

I am all smiles.  He has been my favorite coach since being a DePaul fan...even more than Joey Meyer.  Think about it...we never failed under Leitao.  He demanded excellence, all of his guys were good kids, he didn't take crap, and he won.  Yes....HE WON.  I look at it like this....

First for recruiting....look at all the top guys that we got.  Sammy Mejia, Wesley Green, Zo Thompson, Dorrell Wright, etc.  There were more too, but all were Top 100, and while all didn't pan out, he was getting them.  We were in the Final 3 for Joakim Noah for god sakes!  We had Julian Wright, and then he committed to Kansas the next day!  Dave did a great job with recruiting while at Mizzou and Tulsa, so if anything, I think his footprint got stronger out there.  I see our recruiting blowing up!

Now his coaching.  I always thought about this.  Against Dayton in the NCAA's, everyone and their mother knew Drake was getting the ball each time down the floor.  Somehow, he was able to get Drake open each and every time.  Do you know how hard it is to get a shooter open that often when teams are switching screens?  And then the defense....always Top 50 each and every year!  Always a good rebounding team!

Lastly, no more one-on-one bull-shittake basketball.  Things will be structured.  We will run sets.  Players will be accountable.  Remember Sam Hoskins before Dave and then after?  How about Andre Brown?  I see Tommie turning the corner now!

Thoughts On Rick Carter

Love it!  Love it!  Love it!  I know Rick extremely well.  He is one of the very best recruiters you'll ever come across, and I will admit, was one of the Top 3 assistants I came across while coaching the Illinois Stars.  I'll give you a story about Rick that will make all of you guys smile about how thorough he is:

June 15th, 2013.  This was the day that all of my kids were first able to get calls/texts from college coaches.  I'm anal, so I put together a .pdf of my entire team, along with all numbers, emails, etc.  Rick knew the players he was targeting from my team, however he personally called each one of my kids (talked to the ones he was interested in it longer), where then at practice the kids were all talking about it.  Found out he did the same with the Wolves.  Again, not just doing the expected, but rather going above and beyond.

Rick is also a GREAT basketball mind.  He has experience training bigs and guards, and is a no bull-shittake kind of guy.

I heard about this possiblity awhile ago, which just got me SO excited.  This will be officially announced tomorrow by DePaul, and soon we will see the third assistant (lots of strong names here too!).

Again, I'm excited!!!!
"In life if you don't perform at things you're expected to perform at, you are fired." - Jerry Wainwright after Alabama State game.

Offline BlueDemonManny

• Stats Crew
  • Delta Tau Name: Pinto
Re: Ciepierball's Thoughts So Far....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 03:23:08 PM »
Good insights Ciep and congrats on your new additions!

Offline lake county fan

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 03:35:41 PM »
Thanks Ciep I hope and I think they will, things start to turn around

Offline hbomb

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »
It really makes you wonder what Purnell was thinking with some of his assistants.  I mean, Brian Ellerbe?  Come on.  Does anyone have any insight into BG Sr and whether or not his recruiting will be better under DL?  I get the sense OP might not have been that helpful to him.  Then again, there is a trend of the head coaches he works for getting fired.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 08:07:40 AM »
Ciepier - you are a little drunk on the kool-aid. Praising DePaul for having the courage to bring back a coach? The administration did a pretty solid job of f'ing up this coaching search and Leitao was a fallback option. Now was he a good fall back option? No. It was a great fall back option. Leitao is likely not going to make this into a final four team. But he will likely make this team a team that is in the running for the post-season each year.

I understand people saying that anything less than the NCAA is a failure. My response. In the lifetime of 2016 and 2017 recruits, DePaul has been to the NCAA tournament twice. It is quite possible that the class of 2018 was alive only for the 2004 tournament.... coached by Leitao. Get this program to have solid results, playing tough defense and rebounding. The biggest insult that was levied on DePaul has not come from a fan, nor the media, nor another coach. It was from Elijah Cain. He said DePaul plays like they did in AAU. If a college basketball program mirrors an AAU program, that is like saying a MLB plays like a beer league softball team.

Offline Demon2002

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 08:40:09 AM »
Good thoughts Ceip...  And I agree with your assessments on DL.  I think he is the right guy for the job.

I have a close source that tells me Howland, was interested, but not for anything under a avery large number.... 25% more at least than OP.  Soooo....... no Howland.

As for Hurley, look, we tried to keep it discrete and made the dude fly commercial.  All these twitter feeds and posts of people seeing him at the airport asking him questions.... classless.  That's why he's going somewhere else IMO.  Pretty low brow professionalism there in the way we treated Hurley. 

I think DL recruits, coaches, and develops players.  I also know he is the only DePaul coach I have seen show passion and intensity on the bench in the past 15 years.  That alone makes me like him.  I'm hearing that DL has already installed a lot more discipline with the team, has the guys focusing on defense as priority no. 1 already, and has been taking actions to run the ship literally from the moment his introductory press conference ended.  I'm very much behind DL and think his attitude and no BS approach to coaching resonates with the recruiting base in the MW and Chi. 

DePaul doesn't deserve a "splash" coach.  We wouldn't know what to do with a splash coach if we had one.  Hurley flew commercial to interview remember... had to catch his own Uber I bet to Lincoln Park.     
Jerry Wainwright:  ?He plays with great enthusiasm, and what a physical specimen! If I looked like that, I'd spend all day walking around in a Speedo.?

Offline mike1972

• Student Manager
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 03:45:23 PM »
Congrats on your little ones, have fun with them.

Offline Big Kid

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 04:49:02 PM »
How are things with the new Cieps now that they are a little bit older?

Offline Ciepierball