* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: Letter to the President  (Read 2456 times)

Offline kman999

• 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Hoover
Letter to the President
« on: February 20, 2018, 02:01:43 PM »
It won't do all that much, but my letter to the President's Office (that has been sent in some way shape or form to either Esteban or Holtschneider multiple times over the past few years) ... no response yet:

President Esteban,

Welcome to DePaul.

When I speak of my alma mater, I generally speak with tremendous pride of the academic and social experience I had during my four years in Lincoln Park.  It is the primary reason I am who and where I am today.  However, I cannot say the same of DePaul Athletics, specifically the DePaul Men's Basketball Program.  I understand that athletics is not the primary function of a university, but to some, it is an extremely important and potentially powerful portion of that college experience.  Even more important is the effect that an athletics department can have on an alumni base, to include charitable donations.

While I cannot predict the future success of current DePaul Men's Basketball Coach Dave Leitao, I can say with certainty that his time at DePaul has been much more than a disappointment.  Hiring an assistant coach from a mid-major institution is simply unacceptable for a program in the Big East (and a program that spends immensely on athletics).  Coach Leitao’s record thus far confirms the same.  The hire illustrates the lack of creativity and the large extent to which the current administration is out of touch with students, alumni, and potential Chicago-land fans.  It is also a small example of the complete failure of the flagship program of this University's Athletics Department.  As we continue to invest into all of the University's programs, to include the expenditures associated with Wintrust Arena, I ask that the administration take a closer look at the leadership that guides our athletics department and finally consider making a change at the Athletic Director level.

Thank you in advance for all you will do to ensure DePaul remains a great place to study and call home, it is sincerely appreciated.

Very respectfully,

Justin Kman
Class of 2010

Offline Big Kid

• 4 Star Prospect
Re: Letter to the President
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 05:05:07 PM »
Kman, well thought out. All letters should be like this whether Esty or one of his assistants is reading them, they should state the facts, be short and to the point and always polite. You write notes like that and more times than not, your letter will be read all the way through. You write 3 pages done, you start insulting whoever... done. Not that anyone of us don’tay some Mammer Jammers and a few whatnots at the feet of Pon Shiiite Ohhhhh and Laydown.

Offline kman999

• 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Hoover
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »
Most recent letter, which received a canned “we appreciate your concerns response.” This letter is similar to the original with a bit more of a  targeted tone.

President Esteban,

I write to this Office for the fifth time without receiving a response.

I am a 2010 graduate of DePaul University, a 2013 graduate of Boston University School of Law, and currently a Captain in the United States Army Judge Advocate General's Corps.

I understand that athletics is not the primary function of a university, but to some, it is an extremely important and potentially powerful portion of that college experience. Your recent comments in the DePaulia are alarming not because of their substance, but because of their silence.  You will find no argument from me as to the importance of "student-athletes" or the importance of ALL our division-I sports. 

However, men's basketball simply must be the most important sport at the school.  Any other view of the sport is a disservice to the millions of dollars in university money that pours into the men's program each and every year.  DePaul can be a driver of equality in men's and women's athletics, but it can do so while still having some semblance of respect for the sport that carries it's revenue and national media presence - men's basketball. 

To look at the past twelve years of men's basketball performance and STILL provide a vote of confidence to Jean Lenti-Ponsetto demonstrates that you believe that an athletics' department is incapable of all-around success.  Flagship program success, secondary sports success, and athletic-academic success are not mutually exclusive.  As we continue to invest in the men's basketball program, to include a new basketball stadium, I ask that you finally consider making a change at the Athletic Director level.  Jean Lenti-Ponsetto has served loyally as an Athletic Director, but the University must change and maintain a sense of accountability.

Very respectfully,

Justin Kman
Class of 2010
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:42:34 PM by kman999 »

Offline DPUdead

• Stats Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:56:25 PM »
Kman, thank you for your service. Thought about doing that after graduation. Didn't and I regret it. Great letter by the way.

* Blue Demons Nation Scholarship Chart

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
1 Jaylen Butz Javon Freeman-Liberty Markese Jacobs
2 Charlie Moore Darious Hall Oscar Lopez Jr
3 Brian Patrick Courvoisier McCauley Nick Ongenda
4 Pauly Paulicap Markese Jacobs Romeo Weems
5 Ray Salnave Oscar Lopez Jr Kobe Elvis
6 Javon Freeman-Liberty Nick Ongenda Ahamad Bynum
7 Darious Hall Romeo Weems Keon Edwards
8 Courvoisier McCauley Kobe Elvis Brett Hardt Jr.
9 Markese Jacobs Ahamad Bynum David Jones
10 Oscar Lopez Jr Keon Edwards Kok Yat
11 Nick Ongenda Brett Hardt Jr.  
12 Romeo Weems David Jones  
13 Kobe Elvis Kok Yat  

Senior
  Junior
  Sophomore
  Freshman

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal