* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Poll

If you were given the chance of keeping Purnell or hire Leitao in to replace him, which do you prefer?

Keep Purnell
18 (69.2%)
Hire Leitao
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: January 26, 2018, 09:07:40 AM

Author Topic: Hindsight Poll - Revisited  (Read 5040 times)

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
Hindsight Poll - Revisited
« on: January 16, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
Asked this 9 months ago, curious if things have changed.

Offline lovethedrake

• 2 Star Prospect
Re: Hindsight Poll - Revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:55:42 AM »
I would still have hired DL.  But both options are horrendous.

The talent is better IMO.     

The coaching is not.    However, the rebuild could be shorter with a good coach.   

Offline Hayes-Healy Superstar

• Inventor of the Fist Bump
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Bluto
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »
Hard to argue the facts, Purnell was the better coach and probably a mailing it in OP out coaches Dave easily.
Smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline mrap24

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 10:51:48 AM »
the is zero factual evidence that indicates that the program is in better shape today than it was the day OP was fired.  i am not defending OP at all, but the program is not in better shape 3 years after we hired a new coach.  fine to fire OP, but the hiring of DL was such a miss it cant even be put into words

Offline lovethedrake

• 2 Star Prospect
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »
Yes DL was the worst possible hire and still managed to fail to meet expectations in 3 years.

Offline Big Kid

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 12:44:58 PM »
Mrap, it tacked on another 3 years that are lost in any effort to turn this thing around. WHoever eventually takes over (and better be hired by the replacement AD) is going to have to build from scratch.

Butz, Roberts and Reed have some potential or more than we've seen from prior 1st year recruits and under the right mentor(s) more than likely can develop to become better and solid 4 year contributors. They could make a nice base to the new roster but if a new coach comes in and sends everyone off or they leave on their own, I am okay with that too. I do not see anyone on this roster that can be considered keepable.

Offline hbomb

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 01:43:44 PM »
I've had an opinion for a while now, which I'm typically too embarrassed to share in polite company, that OP was perhaps turning the corner his final year.  Yes the OOC was atrocious, but they made noise in the first part of the Big East schedule and there were 2-3 games where the refs absolutely hosed us and we could have easily been 8-10 if it weren't for those games.  I still believe the refs hosed us to preserve as many bids as possible for the infant BE 2.0 as were bid-killing machines due to our OOC.  That team wasn't talented enough to overcome corrupt refereeing.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 01:52:16 PM »
I've had an opinion for a while now, which I'm typically too embarrassed to share in polite company, that OP was perhaps turning the corner his final year.  Yes the OOC was atrocious, but they made noise in the first part of the Big East schedule and there were 2-3 games where the refs absolutely hosed us and we could have easily been 8-10 if it weren't for those games.  I still believe the refs hosed us to preserve as many bids as possible for the infant BE 2.0 as were bid-killing machines due to our OOC.  That team wasn't talented enough to overcome corrupt refereeing.
Had Purnell turned the corner a year before, perhaps he would have bought himself some more time. However, 5 years, and 12-20, you have to be relieved of your job. In hindsight, if it came down to Purnell staying for a 6th year or Leitao coming in, I am Purnell each and every time.

Purnell's team had an identity, some good, mostly bad. Leitao's team identity; all bad thus far. There was nothing about last night that look coordinated / game planned. It was almost as if the staff forgot there was a game, did not practice or scout nor put together a game plan, and told them "well... we have a game tonight. Just do what you do" and called it a night.

Offline hbomb

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 02:23:12 PM »
Had Purnell turned the corner a year before, perhaps he would have bought himself some more time. However, 5 years, and 12-20, you have to be relieved of your job. In hindsight, if it came down to Purnell staying for a 6th year or Leitao coming in, I am Purnell each and every time.

Purnell's team had an identity, some good, mostly bad. Leitao's team identity; all bad thus far. There was nothing about last night that look coordinated / game planned. It was almost as if the staff forgot there was a game, did not practice or scout nor put together a game plan, and told them "well... we have a game tonight. Just do what you do" and called it a night.

Oh, I would not take OP over Hurley or Drew or basically any other logical hire, but it was apparent from the very get go that DL was a step down in ability from OP.   I would bet the last 3 years would be very different under OP.  The new BE seemed like a league he was figuring out and becoming comfortable in.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »
HBomb - I'd have concerns if someone not related to Purnell would have preferred he stayed versus getting Hurley / Drew / logical hire.

Offline lovethedrake

• 2 Star Prospect
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 03:26:21 PM »
What identity did OP teams have? 

They were 86 in kenpom in offense and 219 in defense the year they won 6 games. 

We are currently 154 in offense and 77 in defense with this DL team.

The only difference between these teams is the players won some games at the end. 

The OP teams were terribly coached and suffered tons of blowout losses and lost to horrible teams in the non conf. 

I would say this current team has more of an identity than any OP team.

Online corbinnow

• Just like Pella Windows; Transparent
  • 5 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Boon
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 08:14:25 PM »
6 Wins and he was fired - rightly so after all those years.  However, JLP hiring Da Loser was atrocious.  I would have rather had taken the chance on Aguirre or Corbin.  I said so at the time.  Many thought DL was the second coming...literally.  What a total fiasco.  Hopefully this ends JLP's reign.
"I will stop bitching when they start winning."

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 08:07:55 AM »

The only difference between these teams is the players won some games at the end. 

The OP teams were terribly coached and suffered tons of blowout losses and lost to horrible teams in the non conf. 

For the 85th time, comparing this year, through about 60%, with the 40% of regular season games remaining is not a logical comparison. It is even more illogical when you consider that of the remaining games, they are in a tough conference where 83% of the games are against bubble or better teams.

Do you believe that the defense numbers will getting better or worse? Considering that the overall defensive efficiency for DePaul is 99.2, however, the conference only number is 107.6% with the tougher portion of the conference schedule upcoming... I am quite certain it will be worse.

So lets look at the effective FG%;

Purnell's last year, effective FG% offense was 50.7%; last year, it was 48.1%. Effective FG% defense; Purnell's last year was 50.8%, last year, it was 53.8%. So with those numbers, Purnell's offense was better his last year, and his defense was better.

We can revisit these numbers after the season.

Offline lake county fan

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 08:27:35 AM »
The choice between DL and Purnell is not one any team should have

Offline mrap24

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 08:43:59 AM »

your post brings up something interesting, what is this team/a DL program identity?

- bad coaching
- no adjustments
- no discipline
- no offense
- pack it in defense

anything positive?

Offline erbsademon

• 3 Star Prospect
  • #FireJLP
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 09:01:07 AM »

your post brings up something interesting, what is this team/a DL program identity?

- bad coaching
- no adjustments
- no discipline
- no offense
- pack it in defense

anything positive?

Austin Grandstaff's musical ability
#FireJLP

Offline lovethedrake

• 2 Star Prospect
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 10:13:10 AM »
A pack line defense is not a negative.  Its a strategy. 

The negative part of it is that we are not very good at it.

There are plenty of teams that can play the pack line D and succeed.   

Offline Big Kid

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 10:35:58 AM »
A pack line defense is not a negative.  Its a strategy. 

The negative part of it is that we are not very good at it.

So in essence, what you're saying LTD is that it's a bad strategy!!! ;D

Just par for the course for the man I call Laydown...

Mrap, I would add lack of direction or inspiration in his huddles and my favorite, timeout usage. If TO's kept at the end of games were $100 bills, Laydown wouldn't need this job anymore.

Offline beersinthebleechers

• 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 03:00:29 PM »
OP was the better coach, better guy and his career has been far and away better than DL, but this is the tallest midget argument. If I only had these two choices for a coach Id pick OP.

Offline John92

• 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 07:43:23 PM »
This is like asking if you prefer to be burned alive or chopped to pieces in a slow, methodical manner to extend the pain and suffering before ultimately bleeding to death.

* Blue Demons Nation Scholarship Chart

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
1 Jaylen Butz Javon Freeman-Liberty Markese Jacobs
2 Charlie Moore Darious Hall Oscar Lopez Jr
3 Brian Patrick Courvoisier McCauley Nick Ongenda
4 Pauly Paulicap Markese Jacobs Romeo Weems
5 Ray Salnave Oscar Lopez Jr Kobe Elvis
6 Javon Freeman-Liberty Nick Ongenda Ahamad Bynum
7 Darious Hall Romeo Weems Keon Edwards
8 Courvoisier McCauley Kobe Elvis Brett Hardt Jr.
9 Markese Jacobs Ahamad Bynum David Jones
10 Oscar Lopez Jr Keon Edwards Kok Yat
11 Nick Ongenda Brett Hardt Jr.  
12 Romeo Weems David Jones  
13 Kobe Elvis Kok Yat  

Senior
  Junior
  Sophomore
  Freshman

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal