* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: Talent / Coaching / Both  (Read 1709 times)

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
Talent / Coaching / Both
« on: January 03, 2018, 07:59:39 AM »
When DePaul played high major teams well (see XU, Northwestern, Oregon, Michigan State...) has it been because of the coaching, the talent or both?

When DePaul has choked away leads or allowed a close game to get out of hand, has it been because of the coaching, the talent or both?

I ask these questions, because I have seen some hypocrisy in these instances. Loss to Georgetown was because of the significant talent gap between the Hoyas and the Blue Demons. However, when DePaul played XU close and was ahead, it was great coaching, and proved DePaul has talent. So please provide an answer to the questions.

Offline Big Kid

• 4 Star Prospect
Re: Talent / Coaching / Both
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:25:06 AM »
Ive always sided towards the coaching in most of my shouts. We have some guys that are severely underachieving but the coach calls the me timeout to calm the team down, the coach controls the playing time, makes the rotations and starting line up. The coach uses practice to develop and teach. The coach makes in game and half time adjustments. End of the day, the coach recruits the players he wants.

I think there is some blame on both ends but the majority rests on the shoulders of the guy in charge and hell with it, put a lot of it on his boss too. Shes the one that hired this retread.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 08:35:58 AM »
I say it is 85% coaching, 15% talent.

Which player has progressed over the course of their time under Leitao? Cain? McCallum? Gage?

I said after the Illinois game that this team will cause some trouble from teams in the BE. I never said they would win more, just that they would cause troubles. That was not because of the coaching; it was because of the talent. It is better talent than people give credit for. If you had a coach who was BE worthy, they would identify the deficiencies of their players, work on them or try to mask them. Eli Cain under Dave Leitao is a different player than if he was under a BE worthy coach. He would be improved / better developed.

I cannot say with confidence that Butz, Roberts, Reed or others who show potential will improve and reach even 50% of that potential under Leitao. He is the captain of the SS Regression.

Offline Griffin11

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 09:29:08 AM »
Last night coaching was a huge issue.  GT was known to have turnover problems, but there was no pressure defensively until it was too late.

Anytime Hanel is seeing the floor talent will also be an issue. 

Player development is the worst here.  Last night they showed a how much both Derrickson and Govan have improved year over year.  Show me that for any player on DPU's roster.  Blue Demon players seem to digress.

* Blue Demons Nation Scholarship Chart

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
1 Jaylen Butz Javon Freeman-Liberty Markese Jacobs
2 Charlie Moore Darious Hall Oscar Lopez Jr
3 Brian Patrick Courvoisier McCauley Nick Ongenda
4 Pauly Paulicap Markese Jacobs Romeo Weems
5 Ray Salnave Oscar Lopez Jr Kobe Elvis
6 Javon Freeman-Liberty Nick Ongenda Ahamad Bynum
7 Darious Hall Romeo Weems Keon Edwards
8 Courvoisier McCauley Kobe Elvis Brett Hardt Jr.
9 Markese Jacobs Ahamad Bynum David Jones
10 Oscar Lopez Jr Keon Edwards Kok Yat
11 Nick Ongenda Brett Hardt Jr.  
12 Romeo Weems David Jones  
13 Kobe Elvis Kok Yat  

Senior
  Junior
  Sophomore
  Freshman

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal