* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: Ciepierball's Thoughts of Scrimmage / Arena  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Ciepierball

• Powered by Yatta!
  • 5 Star Prospect
Ciepierball's Thoughts of Scrimmage / Arena
« on: October 24, 2017, 03:07:36 PM »
Have had zero time lately, but thought I'd put this out there.  Curious what others thought.

Drive Into Arena

While I live in the NW burbs, I drove in with my dad, who lives in Naperville, and the drive in surprisingly was not bad.  There was a bad thunderstorm in, as well as an accident, and the drive in took exactly 52 minutes, from around downtown Naperville, to the garage to park.  The same drive to the Allstate was just under 40 minutes, so we are looking at just over a 10 minute increase.  Coming home there was an accident by Pulaski, and it still took just under an hour, totaling 57 minutes.  So the drive from the western burbs was not bad at all.  Not excited to drive from the far NW burbs though.

Parking Lot & Access

As many said, the parking is steep, at $23.  I think the parking at the Allstate was $11, so over double, which isnít great.  Itís downtown, itís covered, and there is a bridge going to the arena, so you expect that to be a premium.  If you get the parking pass through DePaul, it ends up being $18, which is only a $7 increase.  There is a lot of free parking in the area.  I talked to my uncle, who is a detective in the area, and he told me that south of the arena, everything on the west side of Indiana, all of 23rd and 24th between State and India, and all of Wabash between 23rd to I55 is free.  Back to the parking garage though.  An issue was that many people didnít know where the bridge was, because there were no signs.  Note to everyone, that the bridge is on Floor 3.  Once you get over, it connects to both the Marriott and the area.  Leaving the parking garage is AMAZING, as the south exit leads directly onto I55Ölike directly on.  Very easy out.

Thoughts On Arena

As youíll see, my thoughts on the arena are mixed, but I think itís due to the arena still being incomplete.  I will group it about what I liked, and what I didnít:

Liked: First, every seat is a great seat in this arena.  Really like the layout.  The seats themselves are really comfortable as well.  The monitor is really nice, curved, so you can see all angles.  Iím in the corner, and I still have a great view of it.  I walked around and two things I loved was the student section, as well as the suites.  First, the student section has a really steep pitch to it, and makes it feel like youíre right over the backboard.  I typically hate that view, but there it didnít seem that bad.  The suites are done to the nines.  All nice stuff in there, and pretty nice views.  The concessions are a new vendor, and the stuff I tried was pretty good (pulled pork, brisket, etc).  Lastly, like that there is intense security to get inÖmore than even the United Center (well, at least the UC last year).  With crap we are dealing with today, I donít mind it one bit.

Disliked: The main level (street level) I found to be super small and vanilla, almost sterile.  I felt like I was in a corporate building.  The floors also look too industrial, where itís all cement.  Iím being told things are still being doneÖ.if not, it has a UIC Pavilion feel.  I donít like the curtains blocking the court from the concourseÖ.looks cheap, and donít close all the way.  And the skyline on the floor looks horribleÖ.hope this gets redone.

Thoughts On The Team

McCallum Ė His shot looked extremely good, hitting three straight 3ís from the corner during the scrimmage.  Also looked a bit quicker on defense.  Didnít see him rebound at all, but we know he can do that.  Other than his 3ís, didnít see him do much on offense.  Again, not really worried about him.

Maric Ė I will admit, was pretty disappointed in what I saw in Maric.  I saw him play at Northern last year and thought he looked tough, but just didnít look the same this year.  Maybe hurt, or just had a bad day.  Not a bouncy kid at all, so very below the rim.  Has good footwork, but didnít connect on his shots very well.  I do like the space he takes up, and did rebound well.  He definitely is a big body we havenít had in awhile.  Again, wasnít floored.

Cain Ė Looked the same as last year.  Didnít try to shoot too much, but when he did, he connected.  There was a point where both Gage and Roberts were on the same team, and Cain had to play the PG, and I thought he did a great job.  When he and Strus are playing together with a PG, Cain is playing in the back of a 2-3 zone, showing that Strus is the SG in the offense.

Strus Ė I think anyone and everyone at the scrimmage can see that Strus is going to be our main scorer this year, both how he was used in the offense, and just by talent alone.  There was some question initially if he would be playing the SF, or the SG, but with how Leitao was using him, itís 100% apparent he is using Strus the same way he used Drake Diener.

Cyrus Ė Only participated some drills, and not in the scrimmage.  Nothing to comment.

Gage Ė I think out of all the players, I was the least impressed with Gage.  First, he didnít do much on the offensive end.  He didnít create for anyone, and didnít get into the lane much.  Also, canít even remember if he took any shots from the perimeter.  On defense I donít think he did a good job staying in front of Roberts at all.  Lastly, during drills I watched him a bit, and he still didnít improve on his shot.  Itís still bad form, holds it too low, and doesnít have range.  Iím hearing that right now he may be the starting PG, but donít think itís the best for the team.

Grandstaff Ė Overall I can see why people werenít too crazy about Grandstaff, but heís a shooter, and things werenít going down.  What was nice is that he got his shot off and found his spots.  He has an extremely quick release, so that only helps, along with that heís 6í4Ē.  He hit one 3 during the scrimmages.  What I didnít like is that he hasnít shown he is a reliable ballhandler yetÖand itís something he needs to work on.  I know what heís capable of, as I coached against him in AAUÖthe kid can shoot.  Probably the 6th man now.

Butz Ė I came away most surprised and impressed with Butz.  My dad asked me during the scrimmage: ďWho the hell is #2?Ē  Several fans that I talk to came up to me asking who he was as well.  Funny too because he barely scored and showed he had limited offensive game.  But man did he rebound, defend, and block shots.  Heís gotten more athletic since I saw him last (which is 1.5 years ago).  He rebounded in heavy traffic, and more-so, outside his area.  I just told someone on the phone today: ďI would not be surprised if he was our starting center midway through the season.Ē  Things can change, but heís definitely going to contribute.

Reed Ė While I came away most impressed with Butz from the freshmen, Iím most excited about Reed.  He is a legit 6í10Ē or 6í11Ē, and has extremely long arms.  He showed his speed and athleticism in the drills, and showed to be really active during the scrimmage.  People say he used to be a guard so his ballhandling is good, however I saw him having issues handling the ball in pressure situations.  But what I did see is someone who has good ball sense, can really get up, and has a decent shot (weird release).  He was playing a lot of SF in the scrimmage, so will be interesting where he fits in.  I like his potentialÖ.I can see him playing every frontcourt position this year for us at some point.

Roberts Ė I thought he was the better of the PGís, as he showed he can create off the dribble and get into the lane, however I thought he was a bit wild.  Heís got jets on him and can really get up and down the court, but heís going to need time to control his speed and decisions (every PG does).  Again, this is why I think PG can be the issue on this team, because I donít see Gage as a PG, and I think Roberts need a year or so to really get used to the pace and tempo.  I think heís going to help this year, adding another dimension on the team.
"In life if you don't perform at things you're expected to perform at, you are fired." - Jerry Wainwright after Alabama State game.

Offline mrap24

• 1 Star Prospect
Re: Ciepierball's Thoughts of Scrimmage / Arena
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:35 PM »
we will see how that drive is during rush hour when the weather is bad opposed to a mid saturday morning where there is no one in the city for work.  i am sure those 6 or 7 pm weekday games are going to be a real joy to get too

Offline lake county fan

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »
The drive from the north suburbs is horrible I will be taking the cta from Linden total trip drive and train 2 hours I am going to give it a try

Offline lake county fan

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »
By the way Ciep thanks for your input

Offline Q3DePaul

• 2 Star Prospect
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 03:14:15 PM »
I didn't stay for the men's scrimmage so I can't comment on the players.  I'm not worried there though since we'll easily get 18 wins this year, maybe even 20.  Go Blue Demons.

I will say I don't agree with Ciepier that every seat is a great seat in the arena.  Comparatively vs. Allstate (which we should compare it to since that is where we are coming from), the section 200 seats are a lot higher up.  I went up there and I compare them to the section 300 seats at the United Center.  Even at the first row of section 200, I felt like I was super far back.  Maybe that view is good compared to other newer arenas but I thought there was a noticeable difference vs. Allstate.

Offline Hayes-Healy Superstar

• Inventor of the Fist Bump
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Bluto
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 09:48:01 AM »
I've driven the Naperville/South Loop route many years for Bears/Sox games so I know exactly what to expect.  Weekend traffic with nothing going on in city (rarely), yeah, you can make it to McCormick in an 50 min-hour.  Weekday rush hour traffic and/or significant event occuring in City, it will be 1:45+.  Covered parking w/ walkway in the cold of Winter is nice, but it's still 23 stones to park.
Smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline dive55

• Rusty Aluminum Premier Member
  • 4 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Brigadoon
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 10:16:43 PM »
Have had zero time lately, but thought I'd put this out there.  Curious what others thought.

Drive Into Arena

While I live in the NW burbs, I drove in with my dad, who lives in Naperville, and the drive in surprisingly was not bad.  There was a bad thunderstorm in, as well as an accident, and the drive in took exactly 52 minutes, from around downtown Naperville, to the garage to park.  The same drive to the Allstate was just under 40 minutes, so we are looking at just over a 10 minute increase.  Coming home there was an accident by Pulaski, and it still took just under an hour, totaling 57 minutes.  So the drive from the western burbs was not bad at all.  Not excited to drive from the far NW burbs though.

Parking Lot & Access

As many said, the parking is steep, at $23.  I think the parking at the Allstate was $11, so over double, which isnít great.  Itís downtown, itís covered, and there is a bridge going to the arena, so you expect that to be a premium.  If you get the parking pass through DePaul, it ends up being $18, which is only a $7 increase.  There is a lot of free parking in the area.  I talked to my uncle, who is a detective in the area, and he told me that south of the arena, everything on the west side of Indiana, all of 23rd and 24th between State and India, and all of Wabash between 23rd to I55 is free.  Back to the parking garage though.  An issue was that many people didnít know where the bridge was, because there were no signs.  Note to everyone, that the bridge is on Floor 3.  Once you get over, it connects to both the Marriott and the area.  Leaving the parking garage is AMAZING, as the south exit leads directly onto I55Ölike directly on.  Very easy out.

Thoughts On Arena

As youíll see, my thoughts on the arena are mixed, but I think itís due to the arena still being incomplete.  I will group it about what I liked, and what I didnít:

Liked: First, every seat is a great seat in this arena.  Really like the layout.  The seats themselves are really comfortable as well.  The monitor is really nice, curved, so you can see all angles.  Iím in the corner, and I still have a great view of it.  I walked around and two things I loved was the student section, as well as the suites.  First, the student section has a really steep pitch to it, and makes it feel like youíre right over the backboard.  I typically hate that view, but there it didnít seem that bad.  The suites are done to the nines.  All nice stuff in there, and pretty nice views.  The concessions are a new vendor, and the stuff I tried was pretty good (pulled pork, brisket, etc).  Lastly, like that there is intense security to get inÖmore than even the United Center (well, at least the UC last year).  With crap we are dealing with today, I donít mind it one bit.

Disliked: The main level (street level) I found to be super small and vanilla, almost sterile.  I felt like I was in a corporate building.  The floors also look too industrial, where itís all cement.  Iím being told things are still being doneÖ.if not, it has a UIC Pavilion feel.  I donít like the curtains blocking the court from the concourseÖ.looks cheap, and donít close all the way.  And the skyline on the floor looks horribleÖ.hope this gets redone.

Thoughts On The Team

McCallum Ė His shot looked extremely good, hitting three straight 3ís from the corner during the scrimmage.  Also looked a bit quicker on defense.  Didnít see him rebound at all, but we know he can do that.  Other than his 3ís, didnít see him do much on offense.  Again, not really worried about him.

Maric Ė I will admit, was pretty disappointed in what I saw in Maric.  I saw him play at Northern last year and thought he looked tough, but just didnít look the same this year.  Maybe hurt, or just had a bad day.  Not a bouncy kid at all, so very below the rim.  Has good footwork, but didnít connect on his shots very well.  I do like the space he takes up, and did rebound well.  He definitely is a big body we havenít had in awhile.  Again, wasnít floored.

Cain Ė Looked the same as last year.  Didnít try to shoot too much, but when he did, he connected.  There was a point where both Gage and Roberts were on the same team, and Cain had to play the PG, and I thought he did a great job.  When he and Strus are playing together with a PG, Cain is playing in the back of a 2-3 zone, showing that Strus is the SG in the offense.

Strus Ė I think anyone and everyone at the scrimmage can see that Strus is going to be our main scorer this year, both how he was used in the offense, and just by talent alone.  There was some question initially if he would be playing the SF, or the SG, but with how Leitao was using him, itís 100% apparent he is using Strus the same way he used Drake Diener.

Cyrus Ė Only participated some drills, and not in the scrimmage.  Nothing to comment.

Gage Ė I think out of all the players, I was the least impressed with Gage.  First, he didnít do much on the offensive end.  He didnít create for anyone, and didnít get into the lane much.  Also, canít even remember if he took any shots from the perimeter.  On defense I donít think he did a good job staying in front of Roberts at all.  Lastly, during drills I watched him a bit, and he still didnít improve on his shot.  Itís still bad form, holds it too low, and doesnít have range.  Iím hearing that right now he may be the starting PG, but donít think itís the best for the team.

Grandstaff Ė Overall I can see why people werenít too crazy about Grandstaff, but heís a shooter, and things werenít going down.  What was nice is that he got his shot off and found his spots.  He has an extremely quick release, so that only helps, along with that heís 6í4Ē.  He hit one 3 during the scrimmages.  What I didnít like is that he hasnít shown he is a reliable ballhandler yetÖand itís something he needs to work on.  I know what heís capable of, as I coached against him in AAUÖthe kid can shoot.  Probably the 6th man now.

Butz Ė I came away most surprised and impressed with Butz.  My dad asked me during the scrimmage: ďWho the hell is #2?Ē  Several fans that I talk to came up to me asking who he was as well.  Funny too because he barely scored and showed he had limited offensive game.  But man did he rebound, defend, and block shots.  Heís gotten more athletic since I saw him last (which is 1.5 years ago).  He rebounded in heavy traffic, and more-so, outside his area.  I just told someone on the phone today: ďI would not be surprised if he was our starting center midway through the season.Ē  Things can change, but heís definitely going to contribute.

Reed Ė While I came away most impressed with Butz from the freshmen, Iím most excited about Reed.  He is a legit 6í10Ē or 6í11Ē, and has extremely long arms.  He showed his speed and athleticism in the drills, and showed to be really active during the scrimmage.  People say he used to be a guard so his ballhandling is good, however I saw him having issues handling the ball in pressure situations.  But what I did see is someone who has good ball sense, can really get up, and has a decent shot (weird release).  He was playing a lot of SF in the scrimmage, so will be interesting where he fits in.  I like his potentialÖ.I can see him playing every frontcourt position this year for us at some point.

Roberts Ė I thought he was the better of the PGís, as he showed he can create off the dribble and get into the lane, however I thought he was a bit wild.  Heís got jets on him and can really get up and down the court, but heís going to need time to control his speed and decisions (every PG does).  Again, this is why I think PG can be the issue on this team, because I donít see Gage as a PG, and I think Roberts need a year or so to really get used to the pace and tempo.  I think heís going to help this year, adding another dimension on the team.

Nice detailed write up, appreciate it.  However, need to know if they sell beer at this place.  Asking for a friend, thanks.
OldSchoolDemon "...time is runing out on my give a **** meter."

Hayes-Healy Superstar: Yep Coach K is squeaky clean... he's the Joe Paterno of coll.... oh yeah.

BigJayStud: JLP will have to make a decision after next season. She should extend (Purnell) by one year with a very low buyout.

Offline DPU70

• Second Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Redenbacher
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 07:52:24 AM »
I went to the game last Saturday.  Drive time was just under 2 hours.  North Barrington, down NW Toll to Kennedy.  Backed up as I entered the City.  Take the Express lanes to Ohio.
Not being familiar with the area, I got confused as to where to go for parking.  So, I followed the cars and they led me in.  Liked that they took my Cred Cd on the street and gave me receipt to enter.
Security was good and the pre-entry check thorough.

Not enough room for concessions, as long lines blocked the passage.
Bathrooms in the corners made it convenient.  Quick in and out.

The sound system sucked, as I couldn't hear announcers in the upper level.
Odd thing was it seemed very quiet too.  Crowd noise seemed muffled.  Lowered the excitement.

The 3rd floor crossover from the parking was convenient.  There was a huge crowd at the street level, waiting to get in.  It went around the corner both ways.

Leaving was very easy, better then Rosemont.
The ride home was faster.  But, I don't see me doing this on weeknights.  Only weekend games.  Would take more then 7 hours for me and in Rush hour, who knows.

• Global Moderator
  • 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 09:27:24 AM »
Holy Crap... we have a Dive sighting....
Smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 09:37:08 AM »
Holy Crap... we have a Dive sighting....
Yet none of you SOBs will answer his beer question.

Dive - from my understanding from what has been said on the shoutbox, I am 95% sure there is beer.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:32:05 AM by Freshjive2103 »

Offline lovethedrake

• 2 Star Prospect
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
There is beer!

Offline DPU70

• Second Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Redenbacher
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 11:16:47 PM »
Yes, there is beer sold.  this is a public Arena, not one on campus.
Which was the main reason for not bringing it to Lincoln Park.

Offline dive55

• Rusty Aluminum Premier Member
  • 4 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Brigadoon
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 11:28:10 PM »
Thanks guys.  It's this camaraderie that keeps me coming back a couple times a year.

Will check back in later to see how the 20-year plan on getting to a .500 record in conference play is working out.
OldSchoolDemon "...time is runing out on my give a **** meter."

Hayes-Healy Superstar: Yep Coach K is squeaky clean... he's the Joe Paterno of coll.... oh yeah.

BigJayStud: JLP will have to make a decision after next season. She should extend (Purnell) by one year with a very low buyout.

• Global Moderator
  • 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 11:43:14 PM »
Always good to hear from BDNs Brigadoon!  Don't be too much a stranger Dive.... the waters warm, jump in anytime!

* Blue Demons Nation Scholarship Chart

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
1 Jaylen Butz Javon Freeman-Liberty Markese Jacobs
2 Charlie Moore Darious Hall Oscar Lopez Jr
3 Brian Patrick Courvoisier McCauley Nick Ongenda
4 Pauly Paulicap Markese Jacobs Romeo Weems
5 Ray Salnave Oscar Lopez Jr Kobe Elvis
6 Javon Freeman-Liberty Nick Ongenda Ahamad Bynum
7 Darious Hall Romeo Weems Keon Edwards
8 Courvoisier McCauley Kobe Elvis Brett Hardt Jr.
9 Markese Jacobs Ahamad Bynum David Jones
10 Oscar Lopez Jr Keon Edwards Kok Yat
11 Nick Ongenda Brett Hardt Jr.  
12 Romeo Weems David Jones  
13 Kobe Elvis Kok Yat  

Senior
  Junior
  Sophomore
  Freshman

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal