* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: My Solution For A Quick, Efficient Fix  (Read 10906 times)

Offline Ciepierball

• Powered by Yatta!
  • 5 Star Prospect
My Solution For A Quick, Efficient Fix
« on: March 02, 2016, 03:05:02 PM »
It's obvious...most of our fans, aren't happy, we haven't won many games in the last decade, and the best way to turn things around comes with recruiting.  The two things that teams need in college to win: point guards and size, are two things that we lack, and then add to it IQ.  This is how I would approach recruiting, and I think all of this is fairly realistic.  Want to know your thoughts after:

Accessing Current Roster - I want to make sure that I level both the positions, as well as the classes.  For example, we have a ton of combo guards for next year, however no true point (possibly Gage).  Also, we have no true post, as Hamilton is a perimeter player, and the two others sit on the bench.  We also have no juniors next year, so we have an issue with heavily weighted classes, and no open scholarship for 2018.

First, I have five scholarships for 2017.  That's my class I need to hit big, so I'd want to give up any of those seniors in exchange for a 2016 kid (unless it's a stud).  Second, I am not touching my freshmen class obviously, so that leaves our current freshmen right now, and that's it.  I want to get a couple of bigs that fit my system, need to get a PG that has another gear, and one of them has to be a juco to level out my classes.

My positions include 5 combo guards (Gage, Garrett, Wood, Docks, Gazi), 1 true shooting guard (Cyrus), 2 true small forwards (Currington and Cain), a combo forward (Scott), 1 true power forward (Eichelberger), and 3 centers (Hamilton, Barry, and Phillips).  So again, point guard and speed is an issue, as well as quality bigs.

Who Goes? There are two obvious ones I will point out, and then one that I'm sure will shock people.  The two obvious are Barry and Phillips.  They have never been used this year, which shows either the staff isn't impressed with them, or they aren't trying in practice.  Either way, I would be shocked if both come back next season.  Both were the previous regimes guys, and it was too late to get size when they came aboard.  The other is Gazi.  Obviously I was a huge fan, and I think he still has promise, however we have so many guards, and he just hasn't panned out the way we thought.  I know his parents were animate about him getting an education, as he wanted to play professional in Europe.  With his limited time, I think the writing may be on the wall.  100% speculation.  But if I was the staff, that's what I would do.

Who Do I Bring In? Well, two guys we know they are looking at are Levi Cook and Marcus Ottey.  Ottey is pretty high on both DePaul and Wichita State, and Brandon Cyrus has been friends with him for years.  Cooks sees DePaul as a place that he can get instant playing time.  He's moving better, lost alot of weight, and seems committed.  The last scholarship I'd give to a JUCO big.  Is it Marlon Jones?  Someone else?  Whoever, get someone who has size, athleticism, and can contribute for two years.

2017 Is The Most Important Year - Five man class means you get one of every position.  Point guard is a must, a shooter or two is a must, and we need a couple of bigs to start being able to man up in the Big East.

I think the first domino to fall is a shooter, and I think it'll be Matt Beachler.  He's a Mustang kid from Michigan, is compared to a Drake Diener, has a great IQ, and loves loves loves DePaul.  Had a great unofficial, and can see himself as a Blue Demon.  In talking to people within AAU, they hear he will be a spring commit to wherever he lands.  He's not ranked, but extremely efficient, and is a lights out shooter who can also handle the ball.  Macura from Xavier?

Point Guard is the position I'm most intrigued about, and looking at the guys DePaul has been going after, it's an obvious priority.  DePaul has names out there like Makai Ashton-Langford, Quade Green, Nojel Eastern, etc.  I think Eastern will go Big Ten, Langford I don't see our connection, and Green will be hard to get out of Philly.  I'm just being realistic.  But one guy DePaul has been on before anyone else, and may have the best raw skill: Markell Johnson.  Watch some video on him, and you'll see alot of John Wall.  He has size, explosion, and speed.  The last two are things we don't have.  He's been to DePaul twice, and close with the staff.  The staff should do a huge push for this kid.

Ever look at other teams, and they just look like men?  We need a man.  There is another kid out of Michigan that is just that....Xavier Tillman.  DePaul offered him early.  6'8", 260lbs, soft touch, and great footwork.  He's not a leaper by any means, but he's a bull.  Beachler was a teammate, and Carter is close with these kids.  Isaiah Livers is another option, but this is the kid I want, and I would go all out to get him.

For the other big, I'd get someone more defensive oriented, and someone that is a combo forward, like Scott, just better, as DePaul plays alot of 4-out sets.  I don't know much about him, but watch alot of video, but Goanar Mar.  6'7", long arms, super athletic, quick, and can play a couple positions out on the floor.  Again, don't know much about him, but I'm intrigued.

Lastly, I'd want a true small forward, and someone who has an amazing IQ with skills.   I've been told that Missouri native Jared Ridder is a kid that is going to rocket in the rankings.  6'6" or 6'7", alot of people say he's a Mike Dunleavey when he was at Duke, and has an amazing shot.  DePaul one of the first high majors to offer him, and has said to some that DePaul is high on his list.  DePaul has some great connections now in Missouri.  Would be a huge get.

How Would Our Roster Look -

PG - Ottey - SO
PG - Johnson - FR
CG - Gage - SO
SG - Cyrus - SO
SG - Beachler - FR
SF - Cain - JR
SF - Ridder - FR
CF - Scott - SO
CF - Mar - FR
PF - Eichelberger - SO
PF - Tillman - FR
C - Cook - SO
C - Jones (?) - SR

Would be a very young team, but competitive and talked about.  And would have a couple of years to gel together.
"In life if you don't perform at things you're expected to perform at, you are fired." - Jerry Wainwright after Alabama State game.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
Re: My Solution For A Quick, Efficient Fix
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
4 guys in Rivals top 150 for 2017 with 2 of them at four stars/

To quote Steven Tyler... Dream on.

Offline Ciepierball

• Powered by Yatta!
  • 5 Star Prospect
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 04:13:35 PM »
Markell Johnson - DePaul first on him from high majors.  firs tmajor offer.

Matt Beachler - DePaul #1 on this list, and has strong Carter connection.

Jared Ridder - Says DePaul is high on his list.  Possible long shot.

Goanar Mar - No clue.  But maybe Livers here....Carter connection, and rated higher.

Xavier Tillman - Carter connection, and first offer given by new staff.

None of these are just out of left field per say.....rather they are all attainable.  Do they have to work?  Yes.  But attainable.
"In life if you don't perform at things you're expected to perform at, you are fired." - Jerry Wainwright after Alabama State game.

Offline BrianC

• Student Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 05:20:46 PM »
I guess we will find out how good Carter and Leitao are at recruiting. I appreciate the info Ciep....but these guys all seem to have their arrows pointing up.  Carter will have to be very convincing to get someone to commit, if said recruit has other high major options....I hope you are right, but I have little hope.  They may need to scour the AAU circuit for kids that have potential (late bloomers), but I can't imagine that being very easy. 

Offline OldSchoolDemon

• Captain Animus
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: JLP
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 06:49:48 PM »
Nathan Reuvers and Ishmael El-Amin are also attaianable...add Joiner to the list as well since he and Gage are like brothers. I'd take El-Amin if he has the same game as his Dad
The right path is sometimes the tortured path...DePaul fans are the definition of "tortured"

Offline Q3DePaul

• 2 Star Prospect
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 07:42:45 PM »
Ciepier,

No offense and we all appreciate your insight but this might be your craziest post yet.  We're going to be coming off a 20 loss season (another one) with ZERO momentum on the recruiting side and arguably will be worse next year (hard to imagine). 

Why would any of these recruits (Carter connection or not) come to DePaul?

Offline gochicago

• 2 Star Prospect
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 08:47:08 PM »
Ciep, thanks for putting this out there, I sure wish this could all play out for this team, however I have no confidence this will happen.  This coach we have was NOT the right guy to bring in at this time after going through 10 years of just brutal basketball.   We needed a difference maker and DL is just not the guy.  Assistant coaches can only do so much.   Overall situation is a train wreck!!

Offline Hayes-Healy Superstar

• Inventor of the Fist Bump
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Bluto
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 08:51:21 PM »
Q3, easy answer, you play the game and you win the game. Anytime DePaul wants to start winning recruiting battles comes down to commitment.
Smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline Hayes-Healy Superstar

• Inventor of the Fist Bump
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Bluto
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 08:52:57 PM »
Oh and FJ, if Dave had an offseason like that, that is what I was talking about as out kicking their coverage and no doubters.
Smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline lake county fan

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 08:01:31 AM »
I am not sure how many of those guys we could get to commit but Dave and Carter must get something going by 2017
Thanks Ciep for the info

Offline Griffin11

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 09:31:59 AM »
My solution would be to get into the DeLorean get it up to 88 MPH, go back to last March/April and not hire DL.

Offline mrap24

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 11:19:55 AM »
thanks for that info.  what we really need to do is establish class balance.  next year, if all holds, we will have 5 SR, 5 Soph and 3 frosh.  If we are going to lose people, we need to pick up JUCO guys who are JR's toe even things out.  You cant keep having 5 man classes every other year and weeding people out and then having dead classes.  of course this wont hold, but as of right now, we would have a 0 man 2018 class

Roster construction is terrible and that needs to be fixed immediately

I'd also show F. Scott the door.  he is not BE material and never was.  we arent in a position to do favors to Simeon or let BG be able to tell people he recruited guys from the CPL.  we need guys who can play, and can play now.

I dont know enough about the lists of the guys you mentioned, but i am not sure "carter connections" will be enough given i am sure other schools have connections as well.  Not being able to show progress this year is an absolute killer, b/c most of these 2017's will commit this summer, and we have nothing on court to sell them.  will some be willing to take a leap of faith, maybe, but we have absolutely no positives to show them for forward direction of the program

Offline John92

• 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 10:22:39 AM »
I saw on the Rivals link FJ provided that Tillmon has offers from, among others, Kentucky, Mich State, NC State, Purdue, ND, X and Marquette.  He might be a reach.

Livers seemed to have only two mid major offers but has interest from Izzo & Co.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
Markell Johnson has narrowed his list and even though DePaul was among the first to offer, they are not on the final list. Louisville, tOSU, Cleveland State, VT and NC State are his final five.

Offline Champ

• Student Manager
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 10:03:53 AM »
DePaul has to have some alumni with very deep pockets that care about their school. 
These individuals need to be organized and speak with one voice about the basketball situation.
They have the ways and means to buy out existing contracts and with their promise of support if they have a major say in who gets hired to lead this shameless program back to respectability.
In short tell the B.O.T. -  'No More'.

Offline ayakulik1

• 2 Star Prospect
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 09:47:57 AM »
Cleveland State makes the final cut and DPU doesn't. Speaks volumes about the how far the program has deteriorated .

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 08:44:22 AM »
Markell has backed away from his list of 5 schools, so that is a positive for DePaul. A potential negative? He was among the top performers this weekend at NY2LA Sports Swish 'N Dish, so likely will get more attention.

Offline OldSchoolDemon

• Captain Animus
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: JLP
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 11:43:36 AM »
Markell has backed away from his list of 5 schools, so that is a positive for DePaul. A potential negative? He was among the top performers this weekend at NY2LA Sports Swish 'N Dish, so likely will get more attention.

he also left open the possibility of reclassifying...if there were ever a time for Rick to work some magic now would be a good time
The right path is sometimes the tortured path...DePaul fans are the definition of "tortured"

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 12:03:43 PM »
I would be very surprised if; A. he came to DePaul and B. It was as a 2016 recruit.

Offline John92

• 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 05:45:04 PM »
Ciep any update/news over the past 10 weeks?  Obviously some recent commits impact your original post.

* Blue Demons Nation Scholarship Chart

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
1 Jaylen Butz Javon Freeman-Liberty Markese Jacobs
2 Charlie Moore Darious Hall Oscar Lopez Jr
3 Brian Patrick Courvoisier McCauley Nick Ongenda
4 Pauly Paulicap Markese Jacobs Romeo Weems
5 Ray Salnave Oscar Lopez Jr Kobe Elvis
6 Javon Freeman-Liberty Nick Ongenda Ahamad Bynum
7 Darious Hall Romeo Weems Keon Edwards
8 Courvoisier McCauley Kobe Elvis Brett Hardt Jr.
9 Markese Jacobs Ahamad Bynum David Jones
10 Oscar Lopez Jr Keon Edwards Kok Yat
11 Nick Ongenda Brett Hardt Jr.  
12 Romeo Weems David Jones  
13 Kobe Elvis Kok Yat  

Senior
  Junior
  Sophomore
  Freshman

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal