* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: Why do you remain a fan?  (Read 7986 times)

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
Why do you remain a fan?
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:55:21 AM »
This is an honest question. Why do you stick around for a program that has been arguably the worst 'high major' program over the past 10 years, and even over the past 20 years, been very much down?

Do you have a renewed hope the program will be turned around?
Is it because it is all you know?
Do you remain a fan because you are a glutton for punishment?
Sentimental reasons, like it reminds you of a family member and good times with them?

So can you answer what it is that keeps you tied to DePaul's program?

Offline OldSchoolDemon

• Captain Animus
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: JLP
Re: Why do you remain a fan?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:21:41 AM »
This is an honest question. Why do you stick around for a program that has been arguably the worst 'high major' program over the past 10 years, and even over the past 20 years, been very much down?

Do you have a renewed hope the program will be turned around?
Is it because it is all you know?
Do you remain a fan because you are a glutton for punishment?
Sentimental reasons, like it reminds you of a family member and good times with them?

So can you answer what it is that keeps you tied to DePaul's program?

DePaul was the very first college basketball game I watched on TV in 1982 and I loved the name and the rest is history. I'll always remain a DePaul fan and don't mistake it for not knowing other teams. It's DePaul and everyone else. Each year that passes I continue to move further away from caring and that's been for 6 seasons. I'll never switch allegiance and that's my problem because it's not fun anymore when I watch other games because I don't feel confident
The right path is sometimes the tortured path...DePaul fans are the definition of "tortured"

Offline Griffin11

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »
Because of the memories DePaul basketball provided me in my youth.  I am just old enough to remember the 1979 team.  I remember sitting in my basement with my dad and grandpa watching every game on WGN.

That truly shaped my love of college basketball over all other sports.

As a high school basketball player I went to Ray Meyer basketball camp every summer.  Coach Ray was a great man with a great family that made my summer about so much more than basketball.  If you ever went to his camp you would understand why I say it was about more than hoops.

I still dream of the day when DePaul basketball is relevant and want to say I stuck by them in their lowest moments.

I wound up going to Xavier for college and I love the Muskies, but still have a hard time rooting against the Demons when they play even though Xavier has had the more recent success.

I'm also a Cubs fan so sticking by a loser is just what I do.

Offline NotHotTakes

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »
It's where I spent 4 incredible years and have a degree from. It's basically the only reason anyone can have at this point. Your resume will always have DePaul on it, so might as well root for them to do well.

On a side note/semi-related topic: I've always felt that being a hardcore fan of a college team for a university you didn't attend is kind of odd. The "Wal-Mart Wolverines" effect, or basically 90% of Alabama's fanbase.

Obviously everyone here probably has a favorite college football team because DPU doesn't have a team, but do any of you guys give money to the program or root for them nearly as hard as you would DePaul if they were relevant?

Because if I didn't attend DePaul, I would have given up on them the minute I stepped foot on another campus.

Offline Big Kid

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 03:17:47 PM »
Sentimentality and alma mater. I too grew up watching DPU in the late '70's and shaped my love of college hoops. Then I ended up going there for my college education. DPU will always have a special place for me but not sure how much longer I can take things. Having my daughter at Valpo and going to games there has renewed my fandom some what but as Apete said, it is not "my" school. But on the other hand, A LOT of my hard earned cash goes there so I guess I have that right!!! Hoping for a day when MBB is somewhat relevant and they can capture my attention for greater than 30 minutes.

Offline lovethedrake

• 2 Star Prospect
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 06:11:59 PM »
I thought I posted something here but maybe I forgot to hit "post".

I didn't even go to Depaul so everyone thinks I'm crazy but my dad got us season tickets when I was 12 years old and I was hooked ever since.  It has always been a great bonding experience for my dad and I and it continues to be among the many things we bond about.  (Although this is the first year we got rid of our season tickets)

Depaul has always been "my thing" despite how awful they usually are.  Me against the world.

The other thing that keeps me going is the hope that we will one day turn the corner and that it will feel that much sweeter considering all of the losing we have endured.

Online BrianC

• Student Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 06:59:20 PM »
I can vividly remember my mom screaming and breaking the remote control - probably the St joe's tourney game-.....her passion (she grew up on Kenmore) transferred to me along the way (as she switched to following the women's team 20 or so years ago) . I ended up attending DePaul in the mid 90s, but my fandom persists because of being a fan long before then.  Finally, if I didn't run across this site 5 years ago, I would be gone....but finding people with similarly insane passion has kept me from giving up.

Offline kman999

• 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Hoover
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:36:31 PM »
Recent DePaul alumni (2010).  And as far as getting where I am today professionally, I have DePaul to thank . . . .

I always thought I was going to end up at a big college football school (Michigan, Boston College, anybody but ND . . .) so when I ended up at DePaul, I wanted to have that team to root for, that "college" athletics experience.  Little did I know that winning against Kansas my Freshman year was going to be as close as I would get.

College basketball has got to be my favorite sport to follow, and at this point, I just can't get behind any other team than DePaul.  I never knew the glory days, so maybe that puts me in the glutton for punishment status? (or maybe it makes it easier for me to swallow this horrible run)  I do enjoy telling people how big of a DePaul fan I am, only to have them scratch their head at me.

Offline Hayes-Healy Superstar

• Inventor of the Fist Bump
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Bluto
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 10:57:55 PM »
DePaul is in my blood. It was the first real sports team I followed, probably at the age of 5-6 years old. When it was time to pick a college, DePaul was the only school I could identify with.

I can never fully turn away, no matter how bad.  Yeah, I'll get pissed and irate... But the team and the school are too much interwoven in my own personal history for me to completely ignore.

I stick around because my hope is one day, I'll be able to watch with excitement and anticipation of a great DePaul team.  I love basketball. I love college basketball. But more importantly, I want to love watching good DePaul basketball once again. 
Smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline lake county fan

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 08:46:16 AM »
I love college bb and have been a DP ticket holder for 36 years. My sons and I never missed a game I still attend m most games but the last decade it has been hard to get people to go with me. I keep hoping to see the team return to some level of its past glory. But the way its going I may not be around long enough to see it. Changes need to be made at the top they have to bring in some new people   

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 04:01:11 PM »
I will answer my own question; because I went to school there. I think I stay a fan because it has become a tragic comedy. If the decision was made to move the program to an NAIA level, I'd probably see it as a positive, considering the mismanagement of the program. Ideally, change would occur within the program and the comedy would become less funny and it would actually have a less tragic following.

Offline Big Kid

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 09:33:43 PM »
You are 100% correct. I know I invoke Valpo a lot here since my daughter goes there but they get 5-8K at a game, have legit D1 talent with limited stars and have an awesome coach who instels discipline and game tactics. They are 70 miles east of us and have no where the facilities either.  How do they do it?

Offline Griffin11

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 09:54:10 AM »
You are 100% correct. I know I invoke Valpo a lot here since my daughter goes there but they get 5-8K at a game, have legit D1 talent with limited stars and have an awesome coach who instels discipline and game tactics. They are 70 miles east of us and have no where the facilities either.  How do they do it?

Valpo plays in the right conference for the talent level they are able to recruit to their university.  DePaul should look into this.  They would be better off in the Horizon League based on the talent level recruited to Lincoln Park.  They would at least be able to reach the middle of the pack there.

Offline John92

• 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 10:10:03 AM »
I almost went to Valpo.  It was down to Valpo and DePaul and I was going to go to Valpo until a partial scholarship came through at DePaul and significantly altered the cost to me.  Ultimately, the cost to go to DePaul and live at home was 25%-30% of the cost at Valpo (including room and board).  As a blue collar kid with no $, it was a no brainer.

Grew up watching the great DePaul teams as a young lad.  Aguirre, Cummings, Patterson, Corbin, Strickland, Comegys, T Greene, Brundy, et al.

Offline DPU70

• Second Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Redenbacher
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »
I can't make myself root for any other school.  Certainly, not any public institutions.  If, I don't root for DPU, I root for our conference.

Guess, I'm just a loyalist to DPU.  And, My Father was, as well as my son, and my wife.  In fact, over 10 graduates of DPU in the immediate family.

Offline johnnydemon

• Stats Crew
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »
I will bite……………….born and raised in Chicago. Wanted to go to DePaul but parents wanted me out of the city. Fan since mid-70s. Live in Ohio and my daughter is a double grad at DePaul. Son would have gone if they had baseball. Started my Season tickets when we started Great Midwest conference. Still have season tickets. Go to every conference tournament. Will never give up! Happy, no! Tell JLP, yes!

Offline beersinthebleechers

• 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 02:13:03 PM »
Its my Alma mater...what has been going on with the program is an utter embarrassment beyond belief where it was when I was a student. I grew up in the heyday of DePaul hoops...18,00 sold out crowds at the Horizon, top 10 to  20 rankings -consecutive bids to the tournament. Top 50 players having DePaul in their final 5 choices. It all came crashing down to the point it is now. I never thought we would sustain being a top 10 program and play to those huge crowds but never ever envisioned the depths it has fallen. Many good friends went to Marquette...would love to have had the success they have had the last 20 years and never envisioned they could be as respectable as they are compared to how terrible we have been over the last 20 years.

I went to DePaul partly as a first generation student who had to pay my own way and commute...second because of my limited choices chose the school in large part because of the Commerce school and because the Hoops team gave us recognition over UIC, Loyola, Northeastern, etc. I cannot shake DePaul - it in my blood. Have followed Duke as my adopted school for years as Coach K grew up by my mom and they went to grade school together. To thinks we did not drop to the lower levels of D-1 like Loyola did moving to a mid-major conference but rather have been complete posers joining a major conference and mismanaging it the entire time is just mind-boggling. 

I still follow because well it is my alma mater - I just do not live and die with the team like the old days - just waiting for the day the current administration leaves like as a Blackhawks fan did when old man Wirtz finally was gone and things started to change.

* Blue Demons Nation Scholarship Chart

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
1 Jaylen Butz Javon Freeman-Liberty Markese Jacobs
2 Charlie Moore Darious Hall Oscar Lopez Jr
3 Brian Patrick Courvoisier McCauley Nick Ongenda
4 Pauly Paulicap Markese Jacobs Romeo Weems
5 Ray Salnave Oscar Lopez Jr Kobe Elvis
6 Javon Freeman-Liberty Nick Ongenda Ahamad Bynum
7 Darious Hall Romeo Weems Keon Edwards
8 Courvoisier McCauley Kobe Elvis Brett Hardt Jr.
9 Markese Jacobs Ahamad Bynum David Jones
10 Oscar Lopez Jr Keon Edwards Kok Yat
11 Nick Ongenda Brett Hardt Jr.  
12 Romeo Weems David Jones  
13 Kobe Elvis Kok Yat  

Senior
  Junior
  Sophomore
  Freshman

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal