* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: Let's Discuss The Providence Win  (Read 6410 times)

Offline Ciepierball

• Powered by Yatta!
  • 5 Star Prospect
Let's Discuss The Providence Win
« on: February 03, 2016, 10:05:05 AM »
What a great win for this squad and this program!  Someone said that a win like this can help recruiting, and I really do believe that.  Kris Dunn is a high profile player, future Top 5 pick, so whenever you can both beat his team and shut him down, that's going to turn some heads.  So many things went right last night....really want to touch on them!

Coaching - Brilliant, and for some many reasons.  First, the way that they played Kris Dunn.  Leitao put a bigger defender on him in Cain, and then had amazing help off the screens.  One of the big reasons why I think Hamilton didn't play is because he can't help off the screens, because he's much too slow and plays with no urgency.  Our bigs did an amazing job at making sure they did not allow any penetration into the lane.  You also saw what the Packline Defense can do.  Our help was never better, made sure they helped the helper and rotated properly, and the rebounding was sick.  This defense allows for strong rebounding, and we definitely did do that on the defense end.  For those watching on the TV, you saw when they went into the huddle that the Packline doesn't allow for "open 3's".  Leitao was yelling at his guys, saying "meet the ball!".  He wanted our guys to flash to the ball when it's passed, versus giving them a second to shoot.  Lastly, I want to call out the fact that Leitao and his coaches never allowed the team to give up.  There were several points in the game where we could have easily fell off and gave up a lead...we didn't.  Great job coaching.

A Tommie Hamilton Stat - In all but two conference games, Tommie has played more than half the game, 24+ minutes a game.  In those other two games, Marquette and Providence, we won.  This is one game where we could say that it just wasn't who played well, but who didn't play.  Hamilton is a defensive liability, and we are starting to see that the coaching staff is seeing the same thing.  He needs to change this, or else he can be sent his walking papers.  Great job by the staff for believe in the two others bigs, one being a walk on, over Hamilton.

Henry Is Special - I think I'm preaching to the choir here, but needed to point this out.  He's so talented and so good on this squad, and while he's not a shot creator, we need to do a better job in getting him open throughout the game, whether it be post ups, get him in motion off of down screens, or just spot ups.  The problem is we have a hard time creating for others due to the lack of a true point guard.  Thank you Myke Henry for helping us win one of the biggest games in the past 15 years.

Eli Cain - The Unsung Hero - On the Shoutbox I saw that people were saying that Henry, Wood, and even Jr had a great game, but saw some never even mentioned Cain.  Cain was as important as Henry in this win.  First, let's talk about his defense.  He's a freshmen, being asked to guard the best guard in the country.  Not only was he able to do it, but he possibly gave Dunn his toughest game this season.  And on offense I thought Cain was great.  A few good drives into the lane, six rebounds, and four assists to NO turnovers.  Those are great stats.  Cain showed me today that he can be an EXTREMELY good player for us the next three years.

We Will Miss Stimage - From the beginning of the season, I kept saying that Stimage is one of the most important players on DePaul.  I think people are starting to see that now.  His toughness yesterday was great, he's starting to assert himself on the offensive end, and he allows others to rebound well....not sure how many people see that.  He is such an asset, and his energy alone helps DePaul in so many ways.

Darrick Wood Showing Promise - When this kid is "on", he is as explosive and creative as Kris Dunn.  He had a couple of drives yesterday that I was just like "wow".  His defense was good, his shot selection was alot better, and before the end of the game I was going to post that he has turned the corner.  However, at the end of the game, he had a couple of "brain farts" in the halfcourt.  I think I figured it out too.  When the game is going fast, he uses his abilities better than anyone, however when we get into the halfcourt, he freaks out a bit.  But he was a huge part of the win yesterday, and he's definitely getting alot better with decision-making!

Are People Figuring Billy Garrett Out - Yesterday was the first time I was watching a game where the announcers weren't gushing over Billy Garrett Jr.  Rather, they called out his decision making a few times, and were more-so talking up Henry and Cain.  Good!  Someone said that Garrett had a good game yesterday.  Yes, he will make a good play or two, but he also has the ball in his hands ALL THE TIME.  He was 5-of-16 from the field, had 4 assists, however had 6 turnovers, a few of which were late in the game.  Did anyone notice that towards the end of the game when the ball was being pressured, Garrett couldn't shake the defense?  When a PG can't shake the defense, and it's happening alot, then he's not a true PG.  Sorry Billy, you're not a true PG.

Mr. Gazi, Step Up Or Go Home - When I saw Gazi at the beginning of the year, I was amazed.  His shot was great, athleticism was extremely good, and his defense was the best on the team.  Then his first two shots were airballs against Western Michigan, and then he just got in a funk.  Some have said it's gotten into his head...which has happened before in the past (Peter Patton comes to mind).  However, you need to be more mentally tough than that, and need to be able to produce.  This team needs another guard, and we saw that yesterday where Simpson, who shouldn't be out there for 24 minutes, was out there late in games.  Gazi, you need to step up!  If you don't, pack your bags and let someone else in that'll suck it up and move on.

Great win!  I'm pumped!
"In life if you don't perform at things you're expected to perform at, you are fired." - Jerry Wainwright after Alabama State game.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
Re: Let's Discuss The Providence Win
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:03:08 AM »
If we were to do the hockey 3 stars, I see it as;
★ - Myke Henry
★★ - Darrick Wood
★★★ - Elijah Cain

I posted on HolyLandOfHoops.com that they should not be saying Garrett played great. For the reasons you laid out Ciepier, he was not great. six turnovers, and Stephen Bardo, who seemingly loves the kid, was saying he had tunnel vision and was taking some questionable shots.

I am very glad to see Myke Henry getting the glory. I have been saying for quite some time he is our best player and now I think DePaul fans are starting to side with me.

However, when DePaul beat Marquette, you referenced that it was a game that Wood did not play and almost inferred that may be why DePaul won. He was instrumental in DePaul's win last night.

Offline Ciepierball

• Powered by Yatta!
  • 5 Star Prospect
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:48:45 AM »
I don't do hockey....but are you saying the reasons would be #1 Henry, #2 Wood, and #3 Cain?  If so, how did Wood outplay Cain?  I don't see it at all.  I do agree he's in the top 3-4.....but I would say Henry was 1A, and Cain was 1B.
"In life if you don't perform at things you're expected to perform at, you are fired." - Jerry Wainwright after Alabama State game.

Offline Hayes-Healy Superstar

• Inventor of the Fist Bump
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Bluto
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 11:54:28 AM »
Agree with your star assessment FJ.  Wood played really well, but in the second half, his IQ cost us in a number of possessions.

Wood is better when the game is more open.  However the brain cramps up in the half court offense.

Last night I tweeted that no amount of coaching is going to limit stupid turnovers... To me that's in a players DNA and you have to look at that when you scout.  The problem with DePauls current roster is that we are rife with players who make stupid turnovers, and the player we depend on to eliminate those (Junior) doesn't have the athletic ability to take the ball and create on his own.  Thus, when he can't beat his man off the dribble or gets doubled, he forces a bad shot or bad pass and we lose  possessions.

Wood could be a valuable player in a lineup with at least two other players with high IQ and breakdown ability.  Right now, the player I trust the most with the ball in his hands in Cain.
Smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
Don't care if you do hockey or not. It is how I am conveying last night's performances.

Every player had brain farts last night. I put Wood at 2nd because he had 8 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, and a steal with 1 turnover. He had a very effective game.

I get it, people have difficulty giving praise where it is warranted without a secondary dig.

I have seen this phenomenon over the years. There are some players, who if they cured cancer, there would be a faction who'd complain it took x amount of time to find the cure.

On the other hand, there are some players, who if they started a fire, would be praised because they did it in a building that was half empty versus a full building.

We see this in politics as well.

Offline Ciepierball