* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: Opening Game for New Arena  (Read 9096 times)

Offline OldSchoolDemon

• Captain Animus
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: JLP
Opening Game for New Arena
« on: August 03, 2015, 07:21:12 AM »
Mike Brey was openly lobbying for the game to include ND and last year I thought ND was the logical choice, but I've changed my stance and I hope DePaul is taking a particular aspect into account and that is the crowd.

This arena is the supposed panacea for DePaul; its opportunity to reconnect with the city of Chicago. Well, if you want to do that then you can't open the arena against ANY team whose fan base "travels" well. ND, Louisville, Michigan State, etc., all have large alumni bases in Chicago or travel well.

You can't open the shiny new dime of a home arena and basically make it an away game....that's what DPU players have been dealing with for years. You've got to schedule a game that makes it theirs. Their opportunity to have fans cheering for them, their opportunity to have the potential to pull an upset because they actually have a fan base of their own.

That being said, you have to find that right team. I remember when the Q, Bobby, and Lance class entered as frosh the very first game they played was on the road at The Pit. It was a great way to begin even though it was on the road because it was a formidible team for those kids to face. It had the hoopla of ESPN despite it not having a national interest.

In the case of the new arena opening DePaul already has FOX from BE contract so we know it will be a 8/9PM start and the teams that makes some sense to me are the following: UCLA or Oregon because of the FOX affiliation with Pac 12 or UCONN because of Dave's history with that program.

Brey and ND and any other Midwest regional school can go shove it up their ass IMO. Why let them have what would amount to a home game for their alums?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:29:22 AM by OldSchoolDemon »
The right path is sometimes the tortured path...DePaul fans are the definition of "tortured"

Offline ayakulik1

• 2 Star Prospect
Re: Opening Game for New Arena
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:07:26 PM »
How about Duke or Kansas?

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »
NC A&T

Offline OldSchoolDemon

• Captain Animus
  • 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:50:01 AM »
How about Duke or Kansas?

I think DePaul needs a team where they have an opportunity to win the game. I just don't think we'd have a chance to beat either of those teams and IMO if we did play either one it would be so apparent that it was a money decision rather than a well thought out approach
The right path is sometimes the tortured path...DePaul fans are the definition of "tortured"

Offline OldSchoolDemon

• Captain Animus
  • 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »
NC A&T

Let's add Coppin State since you're throwing out MEAC schools. Of course I remember when when A&T spanked us under ole Jerry.

I do like the idea of opening the season at McGrath though with a Coppin State, Southern type school and then opening the arena

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:14:01 AM »
It will likely be Notre Dame because that is a supposed rivalry game.

Offline NotHotTakes

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 03:23:04 PM »
Mike Brey was openly lobbying for the game to include ND and last year I thought ND was the logical choice, but I've changed my stance and I hope DePaul is taking a particular aspect into account and that is the crowd.

This arena is the supposed panacea for DePaul; its opportunity to reconnect with the city of Chicago. Well, if you want to do that then you can't open the arena against ANY team whose fan base "travels" well. ND, Louisville, Michigan State, etc., all have large alumni bases in Chicago or travel well.

You can't open the shiny new dime of a home arena and basically make it an away game....that's what DPU players have been dealing with for years. You've got to schedule a game that makes it theirs. Their opportunity to have fans cheering for them, their opportunity to have the potential to pull an upset because they actually have a fan base of their own.

That being said, you have to find that right team. I remember when the Q, Bobby, and Lance class entered as frosh the very first game they played was on the road at The Pit. It was a great way to begin even though it was on the road because it was a formidible team for those kids to face. It had the hoopla of ESPN despite it not having a national interest.

In the case of the new arena opening DePaul already has FOX from BE contract so we know it will be a 8/9PM start and the teams that makes some sense to me are the following: UCLA or Oregon because of the FOX affiliation with Pac 12 or UCONN because of Dave's history with that program.

Brey and ND and any other Midwest regional school can go shove it up their ass IMO. Why let them have what would amount to a home game for their alums?

Excellent post. fugazi ND, UI and all of those other fanbases. Didn't the Horizon open vs. Gonzaga? That could be fun, though it would likely be a loss, same with the UCLA suggestion that would also be a fun idea.

Offline thewait

• Student Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 03:49:33 PM »
Of course an ND/UI type school wants to play us there. They can beat our ass in Chicago, a top recruit market, in front of their own crowd. There would be 10 ND/UI fans to every 1 DPU fan. DePaul would be DELIRIOUS (par for the course) to schedule this type of game. With that said, I can see it happening. Think of how that would look on national television...getting whooped by 20 and a sea of opposing fans cheering in DePaul's brand new stadium. See Wrigley when the Cardinals beat the Cubs on ESPN Sunday Night baseball.

Offline John92

• 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 07:18:20 PM »
We should probably schedule a school that has some tradition with DePaul, but with a chance of us winning.  Given that this is a few seasons away it is hard to tell today on how competitive we might be at that time.  If we continue to perform at OP levels, then Bradley, Loyola or someone of that stature may make sense.  If we are better, then a higher profile program.

Offline beersinthebleechers

• 3 Star Prospect
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 12:20:35 PM »
Notre Dame makes sense because of the rivalry but I could see a pro-ND crowd which would be most embarrassing. I think UCLA would be awesome bringing back the John Wooden helping out his friend Ray nostalgia from back in the day. but honestly Loyola or Northwestern make the most sense.

Offline demonvet

• 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: McArthur
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 05:15:22 PM »
Mississippi valley state university should be our first game.

Offline Big Kid

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 08:57:34 PM »
Vet, only if all 5 of their starters are not returning from the previous season.

* Blue Demons Nation Scholarship Chart

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
1 Jaylen Butz Javon Freeman-Liberty Markese Jacobs
2 Charlie Moore Darious Hall Oscar Lopez Jr
3 Brian Patrick Courvoisier McCauley Nick Ongenda
4 Pauly Paulicap Markese Jacobs Romeo Weems
5 Ray Salnave Oscar Lopez Jr Kobe Elvis
6 Javon Freeman-Liberty Nick Ongenda Ahamad Bynum
7 Darious Hall Romeo Weems Keon Edwards
8 Courvoisier McCauley Kobe Elvis Brett Hardt Jr.
9 Markese Jacobs Ahamad Bynum David Jones
10 Oscar Lopez Jr Keon Edwards Kok Yat
11 Nick Ongenda Brett Hardt Jr.  
12 Romeo Weems David Jones  
13 Kobe Elvis Kok Yat  

Senior
  Junior
  Sophomore
  Freshman

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal