* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: If I Were Leitao, What I Would Do For Recruiting In 2016 and 2017  (Read 4625 times)

Offline Ciepierball

• Powered by Yatta!
  • 5 Star Prospect
Watching today's game, thinking about what I think DePaul needs, and what they should focus on, I just started throwing some names and positions in an Excel workbook, so I thought I would put it in a thread and see what others think.  Wanted to say what I would do if I was Dave Leitao, and how I would go about the rest of 2016, as well as 2017, to fill out my roster.

Do I Keep Everyone On The Current Roster?
Go back and tell me the last time DePaul kept everyone that was supposed to return the following year.  It's hard to remember the last time this was the case.  Someone always transfers, someone always is unhappy, and things just happen.  With the players that should be on the roster next year, the players that seem like they can be odd-men out are RJ Currington, Oumar Barry, Develle Phillips, and Frederick Scott.  RJ is a senior, so he's not going anywhere.  Scott is from Simeon, so it's good to keep good graces with Robert Smith.  Also, Scott has some skill to his game that just needs to be refined.  Barry has outstanding length and a frame that I think can be useful sometime in the future.  I think Phillips doesn't fit this staff.  He's more of a Purnell player...long, lanky, can run, and more meant for the fullcourt press.  So if I was Leitao, I'd look for a new home for Phillips, giving me two more slots to finish up the 2016 class.

My 2016 Class
Obviously we already have three signed for 2016, but we would have two other scholarships to give.  We already have the gem of the class in guard Brandon Cyrus, the combo guard we need in Gage, and then big in Big Al.  However, Al isn't going to be able to contribute right away from what I saw.  Also, I think we've seen from today's game, as well as just how Dave plays the game, we are going to need another shooter.  This is what I would do.

Marlon Jones - Juco - We lose Stimage, and Jones is a kid that is so close to committing right now.  LSU held him up, but they no longer are an option, and Arizona offered, however don't see this sticking.  DePaul is really close to him, and are the only school that is consistent with him.  He's more athletic than Stimage, defensive minded, and better on offense.  I really do believe DePaul will get him.

5th Year Shooter - I think it's hard to get a 5th year big because everyone wants them, but so many low and mid's have high level shooters, and many are available for a 5th year.  Go after one.  You just want someone that can be a sniper, maybe 5-10 minutes a game, plus it opens up a slot for the 2017 class, giving you 5 openings.

My 2017 Class
This class will be the most important for Leitao and Gang, and will give them an opportunity to recruit each position, as they would have five spots.  PG is the biggest need in this class, as Garrett graduates, leaving a fairly big void.

Markell Johnson - PG - Markell was one of the very first players the staff brought to Lincoln Park when taking the job.  Johnson is rated #106 by Rivals, and is a John Wall-like PG, having good size, ridiculous athleticism, and blinding speed.  Some say he's all about highlights, he has the skills DePaul needs....a freak athlete that excels at getting into the lane.  Would be a huge get, and would say he's the type of guy that is realistic for the Blue Demons.

Matt Beachler - SG - from Michigan, plays for the Mustangs, and is very close with Rick Carter.  Matt is alot like Drake Diener...an unheralded tall SG with ridiculous IQ that has amazing range on his shot, some say out to 25 feet.  He was at the game today, and is rumored to like DePaul the most.  DePaul needs a shooter, and he's one of the best.

Brian Bowen - SF - he's the #21 player in the country, so many would think I'm nuts mentioning this, but is it nuts?  First, he's from Saginaw, MI, plays at La Lumiere, and is very close with Big Al, as they grew up playing with eachother.  Second, he's from the Mustangs, where Carter has a HUGE connection with.  Lastly, there is a void at SF that he can fit right into and be "the man" from Day 1.  While it will be hard, it's very possible.

Cameron Krutwig - PF - he's a local kid from Algonquin (Jacobs), but he's exactly what DePaul needs.  Think Jack Cooley.  He's big, strong, knows his role, can rebound with the best of them, and once he gets weight training will be a monster.  I know for a fact he would be majorly interested in DePaul, and I know DePaul is starting to look at him as an option.

Xavier Tillman - PF - Someone needs to fill in for Tommie, and Tillman would be the perfect guy to do it.  Huge body, soft hands, and blue collar on the boards.  Used to be on the Mustangs, however great relationship with Carter.

The Result...
We would have these options...

PG: Johnson (Fr), Gage (So), Gazi (Jr)
SG: Beachler (Fr), Cyrus (So)
SF: Bowen (Fr), Cain (Jr)
PF: Tillman (Fr), Krutwig (Fr), Eichelberger (So), Scott (Jr)
C: Barry (Jr), Jones (C)
"In life if you don't perform at things you're expected to perform at, you are fired." - Jerry Wainwright after Alabama State game.

Offline John92

• 3 Star Prospect
Re: If I Were Leitao, What I Would Do For Recruiting In 2016 and 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »
Good stuff.  I read that Beachler was at the game yesterday.

Offline Ciepierball