* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: The True Reason We Are Down This Year  (Read 13920 times)

Online VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
Re: The True Reason We Are Down This Year
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 01:55:23 PM »
SOS per the RPI numbers - http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/sort/sos

Last year's SOS was 95, so yes there is an improved schedule. So apples to apples would be conference stats and let me provide you with a spoiler... conference statistics this year are far worse than last year.

Offline mrap24

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 02:28:24 PM »
The competition has been considerably tougher up to this point.   I am not giving a pass to the current staff because there appears to be little to no improvement.  However, the SOS can explain why we are down in every statistical category.   Our SOS is 12 right now.   

We have our 3 easiest BE games of the season coming up so expect the SOS to get worse and the statistics to improve.

you are right the SOS is tougher, but i dont see any improvement as the season goes on.  defense is getting worse and the offense has stunk all season.  also, keep in mind, everyone in the BE, except for us, is recruiting very well.  so annually, its gonna get tougher

Online VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
The competition has been considerably tougher up to this point.   I am not giving a pass to the current staff because there appears to be little to no improvement.  However, the SOS can explain why we are down in every statistical category.   Our SOS is 12 right now.   

We have our 3 easiest BE games of the season coming up so expect the SOS to get worse and the statistics to improve.

you are right the SOS is tougher, but i dont see any improvement as the season goes on.  defense is getting worse and the offense has stunk all season.  also, keep in mind, everyone in the BE, except for us, is recruiting very well.  so annually, its gonna get tougher
I am 100% with you. Offensively we are worse and defensively, the defensive points per possession is down right scary.

Offline lovethedrake

• 2 Star Prospect
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 03:51:11 PM »
My exact post before applies to what I will say in this post.  You can't do an apples to apples comparison of conference play yet when our 3 easiest games of the conference season are about to approach.   Do it after those three games have been played. 

Perhaps our stats will get even worse, who knows... but its premature to make those comparisons.  We very well may win all three games and then all of the sudden might be on pace to win 6 games in the BE and have improved stats.

Offline lovethedrake

• 2 Star Prospect
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 04:04:53 PM »
Also, where are you guys getting your defensive statistics from? 

According to kenpom we have improved in both major defensive categories this season:

Effective FG %

2015- 246
2016- 180

Efficiency-

2015- 228
2016- 176

Offline mrap24

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 12:37:33 PM »
Also, where are you guys getting your defensive statistics from? 

According to kenpom we have improved in both major defensive categories this season:

Effective FG %

2015- 246
2016- 180

Efficiency-

2015- 228
2016- 176

i just look at basic boxscore stats  i compare team stats from last year to this year

Online VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 09:48:47 AM »
My exact post before applies to what I will say in this post.  You can't do an apples to apples comparison of conference play yet when our 3 easiest games of the conference season are about to approach.   Do it after those three games have been played. 

Perhaps our stats will get even worse, who knows... but its premature to make those comparisons.  We very well may win all three games and then all of the sudden might be on pace to win 6 games in the BE and have improved stats.
After 10 games this year, YOU were championing the stats on how improved DePaul's defense was and I was saying... lets see when the sample set includes conference play. 3 games may drop the numbers, but for DePaul to go from 10th to 9th in the conference for Defensive Points per Possession, in those 3 games, DePaul would need to average .875 points per possession defensively... a feat they did twice this year (UIC and Chicago State). That comes from BBstate.

Using your KenPom stuff, click on Conference Only;

CONFERENCE ONLY Effective FG %

2015- 50.1
2016- 53.3

Efficiency-

2015- 110.2
2016- 112.4

So yes, the next three games may lower the 2016 numbers for conference, but apples to apples, closing out with PC, Seton Hall and Nova is likely going to bring those conference only numbers back up.

Offline Hayes-Healy Superstar

• Inventor of the Fist Bump
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Bluto
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 11:35:10 AM »
It's been an awful year, no two ways to spin it.  And while I don't think this team is that talented, the talent on THIS years team is better than last year.  So I can say that Dave has failed spectacularly this season.
Smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others.

* Blue Demons Nation Scholarship Chart

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
1 Jaylen Butz Javon Freeman-Liberty Markese Jacobs
2 Charlie Moore Darious Hall Oscar Lopez Jr
3 Brian Patrick Courvoisier McCauley Nick Ongenda
4 Pauly Paulicap Markese Jacobs Romeo Weems
5 Ray Salnave Oscar Lopez Jr Kobe Elvis
6 Javon Freeman-Liberty Nick Ongenda Ahamad Bynum
7 Darious Hall Romeo Weems Keon Edwards
8 Courvoisier McCauley Kobe Elvis Brett Hardt Jr.
9 Markese Jacobs Ahamad Bynum David Jones
10 Oscar Lopez Jr Keon Edwards Kok Yat
11 Nick Ongenda Brett Hardt Jr.  
12 Romeo Weems David Jones  
13 Kobe Elvis Kok Yat  

Senior
  Junior
  Sophomore
  Freshman

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal