* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* BlueDemonsNation Twitter

Author Topic: Attendance  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Hayes-Healy Superstar

• Inventor of the Fist Bump
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Bluto
Attendance
« on: January 03, 2018, 10:39:31 AM »
So, I've attended two games this year, Nova and Gtown. Nova there was actually a pretty good crowd, Gtown, I'd say was about 35% full.

That said, being in a smaller arena, 3000 fans don't 'look' as bad as it did in All State.  However, its still abysmal.

Word on the street pegged season tickets at 2,900. That will undoubtably decrease next season, my guess is by as much as a third or half that number.  However, I do think one thing... if Jeannie IS fired and a coaching change made, I actually think the season ticket base may hold or even increase.

Thoughts.
Smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline VUWildcat2103

• Administrator
  • First Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Otter
Re: Attendance
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 11:13:14 AM »
JLP alone being fired is not going to have a significant impact on season tickets. I frankly do not think there is a large number of DePaul fans who are holding out on season tickets as a protest against JLP. It is about winning and supporting a team.

If JLP goes and her croonies go and DePaul better markets itself and does better outreach, perhaps you see a solid uptick.

Offline mrap24

• 1 Star Prospect
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 11:21:12 AM »
we are reporting an average attendance of 5980 for the 9 home games as of now.  so actual is probably 3500 or so per game

Offline Hayes-Healy Superstar

• Inventor of the Fist Bump
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Bluto
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:58:04 PM »
You are correct FJ.  It is about winning and having an exciting product to watch year in and year out.  Also, there is a growing change in how sports are consumed and the thought of 'season tickets' isn't what it once was. At the height of the Q/Bobby/Lance, there was perhaps 8-10K ticket holders, and that was 17 years ago.  with the advent of Stub hub/seat geak and the like, access to seats is a couple of phone taps away.

Like DPU70 has expressed in the past, season for collegiate events can/should be sold as a bonding event amongst alumni and friends.  Thats where DePaul has failed the past 25 years, and they've lost that connection to older fans and did not create the team connection to new fans.  A change in administration can at least keep those that got interested enough in staying an perhaps maximize the potential of the new location.... and my thought on the stadium after two games.

My thoughts on the stadium are this... its just OK.  Yeah the viewing angles and size are better for college basketball than AA, but outside of that, there isn't much wow factor.  There isn't any excitment with the team so the atmosphere is generally dead.  Student support is nil, STILL, and they burried them in a crappy place in the stadium. The flow of the staidum is downright bad. Concourses get crowded and stall in a big game like Nova.... which is a flaw in my mind.  Concessions are limited, should be more expansive in my mind... restroom access is ok (at least for my seats).  neighborhood is probably a net negative compared to whats available in Rosemont these days.  Accessibility is maybe a plus for some, big negative for others. When located on either side of town you are going to alienate some portion of your fan base, unfortunatly being located in Rosemont for 3 decades + your support was targeted North.  In game production, while better here due to the newer facilities is still weak and amateurish.

Some of these problems are fixable some are not.  But it WOULD be interesting to see a top 15 team play night in night out at Wintrust and see how that atmosphere would develop.  Plus adding some more professionalism in the management and marketing of the program, I think you could really see something. 

But its still a big mound of unmolded clay with the promise of it being a Vase someday.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:02:50 PM by Hayes-Healy Superstar »
Smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline lake county fan

• 4 Star Prospect
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 06:11:38 PM »
The attendance has been horrible since the move and will not get any better until DePaul starts winning I have 4 seats and its very hard to get to weekday games I have been doing this 1981 but not sure I can do this any longer

Offline DPU70

• Second Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Redenbacher
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 09:06:42 PM »
I planned on going last night.  But, at -3, I said no.  Much warmer on TV.

HHS, the abysmal play in the past 20 years has lost 20 years of alumni.  The old ones are still around.  But, no one between 25-45 years.
This also comes at the culture change at DPU.  It's no longer a Jock school, but focuses on Music and Drama.

There are no more Intramural sports.  No more Fraternities to run social events.  But, they do have poetry reading.

That's the Fr H impact.  No Accountants, but plenty of violin players.

Offline kman999

• 3 Star Prospect
  • Delta Tau Name: Hoover
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 09:04:04 AM »
But, no one between 25-45 years.

This also comes at the culture change at DPU.  It's no longer a Jock school, but focuses on Music and Drama.

There are no more Intramural sports.  No more Fraternities to run social events.  But, they do have poetry reading.

DPU70 ó Iím a 30 year old DePaul alum.  There arenít many of us, but they do exist. 

Your post over generalizes a student body of tens of thousands.  Intramural sports still exist, fraternities and sororities still exist, believe it or not jocks still exist (and I wouldnít be shocked if one of them is actually a violin player  :) )

I understand the point you are trying to make, but I have to call out over generalizations when I see them.  That line of thinking doesnít capture the reality. 

Offline thewait

• Student Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 09:21:11 AM »
Right there with you kman. The problem isn't the violin players, it's the fact the team sucks and has for decades. This is coming from a 30 year old alum who is an accountant and played intramural sports (and also music). Unless that changes, no one will come out regardless of the violin players or the jocks.

Offline DPU70

• Second Team - All Big East
  • Delta Tau Name: Redenbacher
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 09:14:25 PM »
But, no one between 25-45 years.

DPU70 ó Iím a 30 year old DePaul alum.  There arenít many of us, but they do exist. 

Your post over generalizes a student body of tens of thousands.  Intramural sports still exist, fraternities and sororities still exist, believe it or not jocks still exist (and I wouldnít be shocked if one of them is actually a violin player  :) )

I understand the point you are trying to make, but I have to call out over generalizations when I see them.  That line of thinking doesnít capture the reality.

Kman, for 15 years, the School tried to eliminate Greek organizations.  And, were somewhat successful.
they didn't care that the Greeks ran the only social events on or off campus.  Gave students an outlet on weekends.
I ask you, When is Homecoming?  Will there be a BMOC this year?  Does the largest student gathering, The Gambol, still exist?  used to get over 1000 in attendance.  Is there an Intra-Fraternity Council yet?  Is there a Homecoming Queen?  Parade with floats?  As there used to be.

My son graduated a few years ahead of you, and because he became the VP of the College Republicans of Illinois, the School shut his Frat down.
The liberal minds of the Univ cold only take so much.

No, but you can smoke pot in your dorm rooms.  That's progress.

* Blue Demons Nation Scholarship Chart

2020-21 2021-22 2022-23
1 Jaylen Butz Javon Freeman-Liberty Markese Jacobs
2 Charlie Moore Darious Hall Oscar Lopez Jr
3 Brian Patrick Courvoisier McCauley Nick Ongenda
4 Pauly Paulicap Markese Jacobs Romeo Weems
5 Ray Salnave Oscar Lopez Jr Kobe Elvis
6 Javon Freeman-Liberty Nick Ongenda Ahamad Bynum
7 Darious Hall Romeo Weems Keon Edwards
8 Courvoisier McCauley Kobe Elvis Brett Hardt Jr.
9 Markese Jacobs Ahamad Bynum David Jones
10 Oscar Lopez Jr Keon Edwards Kok Yat
11 Nick Ongenda Brett Hardt Jr.  
12 Romeo Weems David Jones  
13 Kobe Elvis Kok Yat  

Senior
  Junior
  Sophomore
  Freshman

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal