New Coach Discussion

The place to discuss DePaul athletics among the most hardcore Blue Demons fans.
Forum rules
Spamming = auto ban
Basic rule is treat others with some level of respect at minimum. Discretion lies with administration on what crossed the line.
dive55

New Coach Discussion

Post by dive55 »

Now that the firing is official, who will be the next coach?
VUWildcat2103
Site Admin

Re: New Coach Discussion

Post by VUWildcat2103 »

Chris Mack would be my choice. However, I think they go a mid-major coach route.
illinihorsedoc

Post by illinihorsedoc »

Whomever the coach is the NIL collective will be the key to success.
VUWildcat2103
Site Admin

Post by VUWildcat2103 »

Hate to say it, however, I think the fan base will be let down with the selection. It has historically been a career killer job.
dive55

Post by dive55 »

VUWildcat2103 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:03 pm Chris Mack would be my choice. However, I think they go a mid-major coach route.
I like that idea and would seem to be a good fit. No idea who else may be looking at him as a hire, but would have to think he would want to consider DePaul if he is wanting to coach in a major conference again.
therozman

Post by therozman »

Mack is my choice as well. Been advocating for him since he was fired at UL. Can we hire him before the season ends since he is out of work? Would be great to let him recruit.
Griffin11

Post by Griffin11 »

As a Xavier alum, I liked him at X, but not sure what happened at UofL. He seemed defeated and kinda disinterested in coaching at the end there. Maybe it was the administration and fan base there. Plus the whole Dino Gaudio fiasco. Plus he didn’t have to build anything at X.

Still an upgrade and he knows the Big East and Midwest.
VUWildcat2103
Site Admin

Post by VUWildcat2103 »

therozman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:50 pm Mack is my choice as well. Been advocating for him since he was fired at UL. Can we hire him before the season ends since he is out of work? Would be great to let him recruit.
Let him scout now, and not have the NCAA restrictions. Plus, it screws this team to have a coach in place who is not actually coaching. Matt Brady would probably be really peeved to not get a chance to really show what he can do.
dive55

Post by dive55 »

Chris Mack will likely generate a decent amount of interest from schools in major conferences looking for a coaching hire, especially in the midwest:

https://collegesportswire.usatoday.com/ ... asketball/

If he is the target of Peevey's search, it would obviously be beneficial to be engaging those talks now. Pulling the trigger mid-season allows you to get a jump on the competition for schools that may be starting their coaching search after the season is over.
dive55

Post by dive55 »

Holtmann at Ohio State has been fired, so will be interesting to see if they persue Mack.